New Play bike anyone?

teadrinker
teadrinker Posts: 170
edited June 2010 in MTB general
Just found these online, could be good fun although not sure about pricing.

http://www.bigbmx.com/

Comments

• teadrinker
    Just been told £330, seems quite expensive for the set up.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/b ... e-uk-25635

I bet I could break it fairly quick :D , £330..no thanks.
  • Is it just me or does the headtube angle look wrong?

If you want a big BMX, just get a traditional cruiser BMX with 24" wheels.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Blimey, take a £300 cheapish MTB HT, remove suspension and gears and fit a BMX style bar and sell for........£300....

Reckon you could build just as good a lot cheaper using an ally SS frame (probably the hardest part to find I know) and the normal suspects bits!

In fact I'd dather get the Decathlon Vitamin for £70 (OK steel frame) and if I want BMX style bars they won't cost me another £230!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Looks pretty poor to me, in both construction of the frame and the components. You can get much nicer "play bikes" for that price, some of dmr's range for example
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I don't get the concept at all, the point of a BMX is short frames, small unstable wheels that are easy to chuck about, If you want to cover distance in a city 29 jnch or 700c wheels are better, if you want to play 24 inch ss street bike is way tougher, more chuckable and looks cooler imo.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    captainfly wrote:
    I don't get the concept at all, the point of a BMX is short frames, small unstable wheels that are easy to chuck about, If you want to cover distance in a city 29 jnch or 700c wheels are better, if you want to play 24 inch ss street bike is way tougher, more chuckable and looks cooler imo.

+ Potato

Stupid idea. It'll get left for dead on commuter duties, and will actually die if you show it to a BMX / skate park.
  • teadrinker
    so all agreed then, expensive toot!
  • teadrinker
    Feature on Bigbmx from the Bikebiz website

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/31967/Big-B ... nto-the-UK

The Big BMX founder stressed that the bike’s relative low cost was due to it using the minimum cycle fundamentals: “I'm quite keen to point out that this bike should not be confused with a BSO. I'm worried that because of the low purchase price that it will be mistaken for ‘cheap rubbish’, although in reality it is only so affordable because it has far fewer components than other adult bikes, with no gears or suspension.”

I've just been told they're £361.50 delivered. Low cost????????
  • nickfrog
    nickfrog Posts: 610
    They have re-invented the SUNN Bmix, 13 years later.
    It was £199 in 98 so i guess 13 years of inflation...
  • This BigBMX bike has passed the EN14764 City Bike durability test. That makes it bombproof compared to many bikes sold in the UK (which merely comply with BS6102). Last weekend, seven BigBMX bikes were raced at a national BMX event; they took a hammering around the track but still rode faultlessly after the race. One frame is also being raced nationally in 4 Cross contests.

In my opinion, this Big BMX bike is totally cool, I've got one and I ride it almost daily. I've got several other bikes too, but they are all too valuable (or sentimentally dear to me) to leave them locked up in public places - so I tend to use them only when they are specifically appropriate. One of the best things about the Big BMX is that it can be locked up in the middle of London for days at a time and nobody can nick anything off it because it hasn’t got any quick-release parts. Also, all of the components are anodised so it won't corrode (or "Age") and it requires almost zero maintenance.
    It’s totally addictive to ride too.

The Big BMX can indeed be compared to the 70quid bike from Decathlon; they're intended to cater for a very similar demand. That bike is excellent value! Sorry if you find the Big BMX too expensive, that’s just how things are when a low-production-volume product has been thoroughly tested and is of good build quality. Take watches, sunglasses or cars as examples, the cheap ones do almost the same job as the nice ones, it’s simply a matter of personal taste and how much disposable income you have available. If you can afford to leave a nice new DMR or Specialized locked up in public all day, then lucky you, they may well be a better bike for your needs.

BMX bikes will always be cool fun and although the BigBMX has got 26"wheels, it still complies with the British Cycling BMX Competition Regulations. Try one out if you can, they’re great bikes to ride and will last you a lifetime!
  • This BigBMX bike has passed the EN14764 City Bike durability test. That makes it bombproof compared to many bikes sold in the UK (which merely comply with BS6102). Last weekend, seven BigBMX bikes were raced at a national BMX event; they took a hammering around the track but still rode faultlessly after the race. One frame is also being raced nationally in 4 Cross contests.

In my opinion, this Big BMX bike is totally cool, I've got one and I ride it almost daily. I've got several other bikes too, but they are all too valuable (or sentimentally dear to me) to leave them locked up in public places - so I tend to use them only when they are specifically appropriate. One of the best things about the Big BMX is that it can be locked up in the middle of London for days at a time and nobody can nick anything off it because it hasn’t got any quick-release parts. Also, all of the components are anodised so it won't corrode (or "Age") and it requires almost zero maintenance.
    It’s totally addictive to ride too.

The Big BMX can indeed be compared to the 70quid bike from Decathlon; they're intended to cater for a very similar demand. That bike is excellent value! Sorry if you find the Big BMX too expensive, that’s just how things are when a low-production-volume product has been thoroughly tested and is of good build quality. Take watches, sunglasses or cars as examples, the cheap ones do almost the same job as the nice ones, it’s simply a matter of personal taste and how much disposable income you have available. If you can afford to leave a nice new DMR or Specialized locked up in public all day, then lucky you, they may well be a better bike for your needs.

BMX bikes will always be cool fun and although the BigBMX has got 26"wheels, it still complies with the British Cycling BMX Competition Regulations. Try one out if you can, they’re great bikes to ride and will last you a lifetime!

Sounds like someone either really really loves their Big BMX.... or they work for them... possibly
  • woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Bike for investment bankers
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    ^^ + Potato @ shameless plug! ^^
  • Hey, I was just trying to put a few things straight, the thread seemed quite negative toward a really great product and the negativity clearly wasn't based on any real knowledge or experience.

I can see why people in the UK would be suspicious of a new product like the BigBMX because there are so many shops (and even petrol stations) selling really rubbish cheap MTBs - and therefore anyone with a real interest in bikes is bitterly sceptical of the unfamiliar.

Trust me when I tell you that the BigBMX is strong and genuinely enjoyable to ride around town on. The riding position is quite upright and the bike feels light, efficient and responsive.

(Vote Quimby :wink: )
  • The Big BMX seems to me, to be the answer to a question that no one has ever asked
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    This BigBMX bike has passed the EN14764 City Bike durability test. That makes it bombproof compared to many bikes sold in the UK (which merely comply with BS6102).

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I noticed a compliance code on my Decathlon Vitamin bike and it seems that it also passed the EN14764 tests, not bad for a £70 hack bike :D