Cytech Courses

RealMan
RealMan Posts: 2,166
edited May 2010 in MTB general
How hard are they?

I'm fairly comfortable with doing everything except frame modifications, taking apart suspension, bleeding brakes, and wheel building.

But I am a quick learner. Would I be fine with level one? How good would I have to be for level two?

For the level one..
For individuals not currently employed in the cycle trade this course costs £431.25

Seriously?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Elvis could do cytech one, seriously it is a piece of pee. Just the very basics.
  • bloody expensive too!
  • W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    I done Cytec 1 and 2 a good 7 or 8 year ago when i was working in a local bike shop, i don't know how different they are now, but back then it was a 100% pass rate, if you got any of the course work wrong then the assessor would 'guide' you thru it, and pretty much tell you what to do so you would pass.
    F*cking joke if you ask me, i knew of other folk doing it at the same time who were pretty useless, but got the qualification anyway.
    Just because someone has a Cytec qualification, doesn't mean they are a good mechanic !
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just because someone has a Cytec qualification, doesn't mean they are a good mechanic !

Couldn't agree more.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    You should be fine for Cytech 2
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Can anyone do them, or is it a shop-employee/in the industry type affair.... ?
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Can anyone do them, or is it a shop-employee/in the industry type affair.... ?

Anyone can i believe! Although whether it is worth it or not is an entirely different question.
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • W00DENT0P
    W00DENT0P Posts: 211
    Its more of an Industry based course, if you were wanting to get into the bike industry then obviously it'll be a plus that you've got a Cytech qaualification, if its just for youself to learn abit more about cycle repair / maintanence then you'd be better off looking to see if an LBS are running any courses or any MTB clubs / gildes, be abit cheaper i'd say as well.