Brompton Delivery times, how long?

gpsBRM
gpsBRM Posts: 123
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
My girlfirend has been waiting over 16 weeks for a Brompton to be delivered from Evans Cycles. When she ordered she was told 10-12 weeks as it was "B-Spoke", which was acceptable, but over 16 weeks has passed no which isn't good. Evans don't seem to have a clue about where it is either, promised 3 call backs and each time shes ahd to chase. Considering this bike was £750 its poor service on someones part.

Is 16 weeks for a Brompton normal?

Comments

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Probably these days... mine was 8 weeks and Condor emphasised they were very quick, it still took longer.

If it's not in stock it's bespoke, hence the waiting times. Not a lot you can do I'm afraid
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Its around 3 months at the moment, I got mine a couple of weeks ago. They're flat out over in Brentford making the wee things, great to see a local company being so successful. Probably even busier now that the good weather has arrived and a lot of Cycle2Work vouchers are out.

Suggest she goes in and sees the guys in Evans. Brompton for their part are very good at giving updates on delivery.

Well worth the wait though, never had as big a grin on my face as the first time I took it out in central London and Mrs OSK gets lots of usage out of hers.
  • gpsBRM
    Yeah we rode one @ bikeradar live last year and it was brilliant. Ordered it in the middle of January, right in middle of the snow, so not sure they could of been busy with nice weather bikers :D

Was meant to get a call back from Evans tonight @ 6pm but no call, surprise surprise. Very annoying as between us we've bought 5 bikes over the last 7 years with Evans and never had a problem with them til now.
  • OldSkoolKona
    OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
    Definitely sounds slow, I ordered mine in Feb and got it earlier this month. Sounds like an Evans issue rather than Brompton (I got mine and Mrs OSKs from our LBS and they were excellent)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Ouch! Damn, that's put the mockers on my plan to get a folder in time for my next trip on the train, as it's only about 3 or 4 weeks away.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Agent57 wrote:
    Ouch! Damn, that's put the mockers on my plan to get a folder in time for my next trip on the train, as it's only about 3 or 4 weeks away.

Dahon? Airnimal?
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • bluefoam
    bluefoam Posts: 102
    Agent57 wrote:
    the wait is only for bespoke builds. My local bike shop has loads in stock in lots of different colours...
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    StuAff wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Dahon? Airnimal?

That's like suggesting someone buys a Wilier to save the wait for a Viner :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    StuAff wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:

Dahon? Airnimal?

urrgh why do that to yourself :lol:

you can pick one up there and then... if it's in stock
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Ah, I see. I think there's a Brompton stockist in Lancaster, so I'll pop in at the weekend.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Very funny guys....
    Was in Evans' new Mortimer Street branch last week, loads of Brommies on display.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    please rename this thread:

Straight outta Bromptons
    <a>road</a>
  • gpsBRM
    StuAff wrote:
    Very funny guys....
    Was in Evans' new Mortimer Street branch last week, loads of Brommies on display.

Any S models with Arctic Blue frame, White extremities, firm suspension, extended seatpost and mudguards? If so its prob our order they messed up. :D
  • gpsBRM
    Wow, it finally arrived. Just over 17weeks after 1st ordering it. Evans gave my girlfriend a £50 gift voucher in the end (which is better than nothing). Annoying thing is there is a sticker on the box saying it was dispatched to Evans Gatwick store on May 4th. 20 days from Gatwick to us which is only just over 20miles from there, we would of gone and collected it if they'd just told us!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    See, another reason why Evans are bad mmmmmmmmmkay.

Do you know if you can buy them straight from Brompton themselves?
  • gpsBRM
    We've bought 5 bikes/frames from Evans over the last few years and never had a problem til now. I ordered an S-Works Epic frame the day it came out and it was delivered the next day. Have had problem with their in store staff when asking advice before, but choose to look up any questions I have on internet now and just go in there when I know what I want.

Apparently you can't order Brompton's direct. Since found out my LBS is a Brompton dealer, although I've never seen any in there.
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    I just received mine, 11 week wait for a custom build. It's going to be a v busy time of year as the new tax year will mean a flurry of C2W vouchers.

However, 16 weeks is too long, and my LBS were getting answers re delivery dates from Brompton within 1 day. The bike arrived 1 day late, with regard to a delivery date quoted very early on. The information is out there, just Evans are no good at getting it to you in this case.