Coed y Brenin or 7 Staines

hammy7272
hammy7272 Posts: 236
edited May 2010 in Routes
Planning to do a trip and I have heard great reports of both just wondering what people think?

Comments

• sarkmeister
    sarkmeister Posts: 142
    Which of the 7Stanes you thinking?

CYB is just one place with 3 or 4 trails (with lots of shared sections), 7 Stanes is 7 entirely separate trail centres.....
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • hammy7272
    O sorry (new) :roll: Glentress
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Glentress. Every day of the week - it's so much fun you can ride all day and enjoy it. That's what i did last time i was there, it is awesome.
  • hammy7272
    What aspects would stand out for you?
  • Anonymous
    Which aspects? The red and blue mainly. And the black.
  • flowpro
    flowpro Posts: 64
    I love CYB but Glentress is way more fun. Plus Inners is just down the road for the techy stuff.

It's a no brainer unless you live in the south and can't afford these crazy fuel prices.
  • hammy7272
    Excellent, I have 2 and a half days. Do you think stay in on place at Glentress or move about. I will probably camp. (any good sites)
  • Anonymous
    One day Glentress, one day Innerleithen then go back to whatever you prefer on the half day?

Can't comment on camp sites sorry.
  • Yukon Boy
    Yukon Boy Posts: 70
    Just comeback from camping at the rosetta park campsite at Peebles. It is an excellent site and 2 mins down the road to glentress then a further 5 mins to inners. Peebles is great for food. Had good meals in Fanco's italian and the crown pub on the high street.

We did two days. First day Glentress red in the morn then inners red in the aft. Second day we mixed up the black, red and blue at glentress.

Then if you have another half day, as mentioned above, you could do your favourite again!
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    CYB 4 U, ok?!
  • hammy7272
    thanks that sounds like a plan.......nice :D
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    Or;
    use your 1/2 day to drop in and try Whinlatter on your way back down south. Only 1/2hr from M6 at Penrith.
  • Anonymous
    Hmm, given tha option of doing just the one area, I'd have to vouch for Glentress and Innerleithen.
    Coedy is great, but Glentress/Innerleithen ultimately has more to offer.

As for places to stay, I can highly recommend Lindores B&B.
  • Anonymous
    Yukon Boy wrote:
    Had good meals in Fanco's italian
    Really? Is that the place down by the river? I thought it was awful! :shock:
  • flowpro
    flowpro Posts: 64
    We stay at the inners campsite. 10 min ride to cadon bank for the inners DH red and xc run.

It's about 5 miles to glentress which is nice flatish ride to glentress trail head (don't clyle on main road there is a back route) to get the legs warmed up. Or drive up to the freeride park and start your riding from there.

http://www.tweedsidecaravanparkinnerleithen.co.uk/
    The women who runs it can be a bit frosty but don't let that put you off. Just give her a :D

Looking forward to August going to camp for 10days hopefully when the sun is high and hot.

Enjoy 8)
  • Anonymous
    flowpro wrote:
    Looking forward to August going to camp for 10days hopefully when the sun is high and hot.

Enjoy 8)
    I'm afraid there are two critical flaws in your optimist....

1) We're in the UK
    2) You're camping in scotland

:lol:
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I believe the wigwams have opened (or are about to) at Glentress:

http://www.wigwamholidays.com/glentress_wigwams

From £35 per night and sleeps up to 5. Better than a tent if it rains!

With that as your base you'd have Glentress right on your doorstep and Inners is only a 10 minute drive or there is a cycling route there through the hills. I've never used that but heard it's a decent route.

There's enough cycling there to keep you amused for quiet a long time!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • hammy7272
    nice one looks like a plan
  • xraymtb
    xraymtb Posts: 121
    Depending where you are coming from you could even stop at one of the other Stanes - Ae or Mabie perhaps - on the way back down the M74/M6.

Glentress and Inners are great but the red at Ae is just as good as the red at Glentress in my opinion.
    exercise.png
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The wigwams are literally in Glentress, right between the bike shop and the start of the trails. They look a bit, well, s**t tbh- I've stayed in a similiar wigwam village at Tyndrum and they were the same wigwams (garden sheds with delusions of grandeur) but the grounds were far better and there were trees, shelter, etc. At GT they're just sheds in a field.

Not been to CYB but having Glentress- which is days of riding by itself- bang on top of Innerleithen makes it hard to beat. Every sort of riding and every level of rider catered for. And if you somehow get bored of that, it's not so very far to Kielder or Newcastleton, or Ae or Drumlanrig. But it'll take a while before you want to go anywhere else.

I love GT... It's a bit fashionable to slag it, "it's just a gravel path" "You could ride it on a road bike" but- f**k off :lol: It's rewarding to ride fast, it has tons of variety and options, but the best bit is it's got brilliant consistency and sightlines so you don't have to mince around it carefully the first time like you do at many centres, you can attack it from the word go. People call that "sanitised" but all it means is the unpleasant surprises are gone, the pleasant ones are still there. I have no clue how many times I've done the red now, but it doesn't get dull.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • 7 Stanes are Fab
  • I'm off up to Skirtland on Thurs. Heading up to Fort William for a day riding then heading back to Inner for time there and GT. The best way to sum up these places is CYB on steroids..... 8)
    Road: Bianchi Cento Strade C2C
    MTB: Trek Top Fuel 9
    Other: TBD....
  • cambo
    cambo Posts: 125
    Both ace, both worth doing. GT edges it as its a whole experience, and inners is the best trail in britain. I also stay at the rosetta, it does the job!!! Just don't be convinced to cycle from there to the trail, its a ball acher getting back!!!