Kona Bike Fest (Bristol)

projectsome
projectsome Posts: 4,478
edited June 2010 in MTB general
It's around 3 weeks away, anyone doing it?

I'm hoping to do the 3 hour solo myself (I'm seriously unfit at the mo
FARKBOOK TWATTER Happiness is my fucking mood!

Comments

• nettlerash
    nettlerash Posts: 15
    yea like yourself i`ve gone in for the 3hr solo much the same reasons as yourself, it`s the first one i`ve done so not quite sure what to expect.
  • projectsome
    nettlerash wrote:
    yea like yourself i`ve gone in for the 3hr solo much the same reasons as yourself, it`s the first one i`ve done so not quite sure what to expect.

Did it last year, lots of uphill.....

Uphill is where I think it will be won or lost.
  • v23
    v23 Posts: 217
    Isn't it a loop? And therefore exactly the same amount of uphill as downhill?
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401

Same here, TBH I didn't enjoy it much. Stacked it 200 yards into my 2nd lap, shattering the rear mech and destroying the mech hanger. Had to run the rest of the lap pushing the bike. Did the rest of my riding laps on the Coiler, which is just too heavy (and too much suspension) for racing.

If you wan't lots of uphill, try the Cheddar one. Only 2.5 mile laps, but you'll be lucky to do them in under 20 minutes...
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Did the 12 hour in a team of 4 last year and doing same again this year, enjoyed it a lot but we weren't/aren't trying to be competitive. It can be a bit frustrating to get an XC whippet passing you on the climbs then mincing it on the downs so the only time gravity is my friend I'm having to use the brakes but as soon as you just accept that's going to happen you enjoy it more. I'm just hoping it's going to be dry this year...

The course is pretty tame but can get bumpy when it dries out after the winter so full sus would probably be more fun if doing it solo ;)
  • projectsome
    edited May 2010
    v23 wrote:
    Isn't it a loop? And therefore exactly the same amount of uphill as downhill?

yes, steady decline, steep uphill.....

course_bristol_10.jpg
  • projectsome

Same here, TBH I didn't enjoy it much. Stacked it 200 yards into my 2nd lap, shattering the rear mech and destroying the mech hanger. Had to run the rest of the lap pushing the bike. Did the rest of my riding laps on the Coiler, which is just too heavy (and too much suspension) for racing.

If you wan't lots of uphill, try the Cheddar one. Only 2.5 mile laps, but you'll be lucky to do them in under 20 minutes...

The Cheddar one is being done in bristol this year (Octoberfest)
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I'm doing the 12 hour in a foursome.

There's only one serious climb up the zigzag fireroad to the bombhole, it was a brutal race last year because of all the mud, but it's fun in the dry. You can make up places on the rutted horse track down to the bottom of that climb because a lot of people take it steady over the loose rocks.
  • Antony_de_H
    Antony_de_H Posts: 91
    I'm doing it solo this year! :shock:

There's a dig day this Bank Holiday Monday to get the course ready, with the usual BBQ, beer and giveaways afterwards - details here:

http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com/event ... ig-and-pig

See some of you there no doubt!
  • projectsome
    I'm doing it solo this year! :shock:

There's a dig day this Bank Holiday Monday to get the course ready, with the usual BBQ, beer and giveaways afterwards - details here:

http://www.bristoltrailsgroup.com/event ... ig-and-pig

See some of you there no doubt!

yes, probably, young josh has been pining. strange lad :lol:
  • projectsome
    was up there from 11-5, the Torq team seemed to be doing best when I last left.

Fastest time before I left was 20 mins 19 seconds, not sure who set it though.

The course is shorter than last year (the hill doesn't go all the way down) bit dissapointed.

also looks like rain!

But all in all looked good, can't wait for my race tomorrow.