Thinking about a new bike....!

miss notax
miss notax Posts: 2,572
edited May 2010 in Women
Hello :D

After a fab weekend riding in Wales, I am considering replacing my lovely Santa Cruz Superlight with something else (and possibly a female specific frame). The problem is that I have no idea where to start!

How do I find out about local demo days, and will they have a range of ladies bikes too? What should I be looking at for a light xc bike? I love the feel of the Superlight, but I bought it second hand when I started riding and didn't choose it on it's merits (just because it was good value and I needed a bike!). Several years later I have fallen in love with MTBing and it might be time to be a bit more selective.

I also have no idea about choosing forks etc - how do I know how much travel I need? My riding is classic xc riding with the odd trip to Alps thrown in, but i'm never going to be doing massive jumps etc. I love technical riding but i'm certainly no downhill rider!!!

I need to keep an eye on the budget, but I am more interested in buying a great bike and getting good value for money rather than keeping a specific spend in mind.

Any thoughts / comments would be appreciated!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what would you like to change on the Superlite?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • miss notax
    nicklouse wrote:
    what would you like to change on the Superlite?

That's a tricky question to answer because i've never ridden another bike.... :oops: I do feel slightly 'stretched' on the bike, and a friend commented that it didn't look like my forks had much travel (100mm) but other than that I don't know! I do like the lightness of the bike.

I literally started MTBing on this bike so I have no comparison, I guess the answer is try as many as I can and at least them I can strike some off the list!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

• nicklouse
    yep get on some even if it is just in the shop or car park, as you have to see what is wrong or right about your current ride.

It maybe that a few tweeks on the superlite might be all that is really needed.

Maybe a shorter stem and a non layback seat post and a service :wink:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • miss notax
    Yep, I agree!

I've always been absolutely delighted with my bike, but then again (to use cars for the analogy!) I used to be absolutely delighted driving my Ford Focus and I now drive a Lotus Elise 8) :lol:

• nicklouse
    true but you are already not far of the Elise with the Superlite :wink: just give it the sports pack treatment.
  • miss notax
    nicklouse wrote:
    true but you are already not far of the Elise with the Superlite :wink: just give it the sports pack treatment.

:lol::lol::lol:

• nicklouse
    Do you have pics of the current build?