Why is one suspension better than another?

Oxygen Thief
Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Just wondering what makes a good suspension really? As in airs better than coil but why? And how are some air ones better than other air ones etc? Is it it's responsiveness? Ease of cmopression or what?

Any info much appreciated

:)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    neither is better.

oh and Air is a spring.

I guess you mean air or coil.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Oxygen Thief
    Yeah that's what I meant ;-)

Some suspensions are better than other's though, why?
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    quality of construction
    tightness of seals
    ease of use
    nature of rebound/compression circuits

Generally any travel adjust air fork is pretty rubbish due to the increased number of seals required and therefore massively increased stiction.
  • anto164
    anto164 Posts: 3,500
    Some are better due to weight, responsiveness, plushness, useful levels of adjustability, long term performance, service intervals, ease of services etc..

and don't forget rider preference..

A good suspension fork is one which is predictable, controllable, and smooth through it's action.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cool, few of them was as I thought, but thanks for the others. Guess I'll not know properly until I get a bike with a decent shock and then compare.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    What is 'a suspension'? Are you talking forks or rear shock units or different rear sus designs?

No offence mate, but it's not a very well thought out question. There's a whole range of properties that can be an advantage, but some might be conflicting - eg a coil fork might feel better and maybe give better performance than an air fork, but will also weigh more and be less adjustable.

It's like asking 'which car is the best?' or 'which television is the best?' - What are you doing with it and what features are most important to you?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    quality of construction
    tightness of seals
    ease of use
    nature of rebound/compression circuits

Generally any travel adjust air fork is pretty rubbish due to the increased number of seals required and therefore massively increased stiction.

Mmm many use the same seals..... and same number off.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Oxygen Thief
    What is 'a suspension'? Are you talking forks or rear shock units or different rear sus designs?

No offence mate, but it's not a very well thought out question. There's a whole range of properties that can be an advantage, but some might be conflicting - eg a coil fork might feel better and maybe give better performance than an air fork, but will also weigh more and be less adjustable.

It's like asking 'which car is the best?' or 'which television is the best?' - What are you doing with it and what features are most important to you?

Well I didn't ask 'what is best' did I? I asked what makes a good suspension? I could ask what makes a good car as a perfectly valid question jsut like this one.
  • llamafarmer
    Well I didn't ask 'what is best' did I? I asked what makes a good suspension? I could ask what makes a good car as a perfectly valid question jsut like this one.

You still didn't answer my first question.

And I still stand by my main point - some things contradict each other depending on what you want. If you're talking forks an XC racer might want lightweight and good small bump response, whereas a trail rider might be happy to sacrifice some weight for extra stiffness and be more concerned by how it handles bigger hits.
  • Oxygen Thief
    What's a suspension? I was mainly talking about front forks. But you can answer for rear sus too if you wanted. Either would come under the category of 'suspension' in my eyes. I was looking for any info ata ll on what makes a good suspension. If you'd asnwered on back or front that would have been great, info was all I was after.

I can accept it differs for different types of activiities and compromises have to be made. Was just looking for as much info as possible. Got sme too, people listed characterisitcs which is what I was after. Simples!

I bet if this question was asked to you with the a million quid reward if you answered it you would have answered it with as much nifo as possible and not questions 'what's a suspension?' etc. Pedant much! it's in the beginner section, obviously I wasn't looking for anything specific.
  • llamafarmer
    I was trying to keep the criticism constructive so you could get some more specific answers, but never mind.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Thanks, basic understanding I am after at moment. With all the variables I would then have had a think about what may be beneficial where etc and then came back with more questions. Cheers for advice I just like to get the basics then see what I can make of them before asking mroe and seeing how wrong and right I was.

Cheers for the bit about trails, XC etc that gives me a head start on my thinking :)
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    For full suss one of the key considerations is how well the rear suspension can be tuned to give you enough travel when you need it (over bumps) and no travel when you don't need it (e.g. when you stamp on the pedals). All the manufacturers will claim that their system is the 'most active', the 'most active under braking' and the least susceptible to 'pedal bob' - and some systems allow you to lockout or limit the travel for different conditions - but you'll have try out different types to see how much is marketing hype and how much really helps.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    I am a fan of air suspension.You can tune it to suit yourself using a shock pump.But then again I ride mainly xc