etape caledonia - king of mountains

anyone have these results/ know where we can find them?
got the full numbers, a very respectable 4.11 ... not bad considering how bloody lazy Ive been in the build up!

Comments

• Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    The following link has the KotM breakdown on it:

https://www.raceplus.co.uk/raceplus-ind ... ndividuals
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Alain Quay
    Alain Quay Posts: 534
    I couldn't help but notice a guy, estimated weight around 15-16 stone,
    in white & red polka dot KoTM jersey, shorts, gloves, etc.

Irony, I think they call it.
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    Oh god, tell me about it. I'm not the fastest lad in the world, but no joke - every time I found my path being blocked by a slower rider there would inevitably be polka dots involved. And to be blocking my path you really MUST be slow.
  • godihatehills
    godihatehills Posts: 237
    edited May 2010
    the thing that got me was the low numbers on "bigger" riders- I saw a couple in the the 300s who were verging on morbidly obese for their height..... so surely this means they thought they could get round in some super fast time to get that seeding number no?
    some people just dont get it do they!? also saw some highly suspect riding, changing lines mid pack and random swervage....
    the biggest gripe was the lack of through and off.... entire "pace lines" just sitting on letting some poor sod flog themselves to death- the only way I could get rid of some of them was to swing wide brake and change down to get people to come through and pull......
    its only manners ! ;-)
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    also saw some highly suspect riding, changing lines mid pack and random swervage....
    ! ;-)

Yeah tell me about it, .... a big thanks to the numpty who sucked my (and others) wheels for 25 miles and then decided on the logierait section downhill bits that he would zoom past me only to swerve all over the place on the climbs in the middle of our group. Predictably, he clipped a wheel and fell down in front of me. (I had already warned him to hold his line after a previous incident)

No place to go, I ploughed straight into him and over the handlebars. Limped the final 2-3 miles to the finish with brakes jammed on.

And to cap it all, no time recorded for me as my timing chip snapped off in the crash (not discovered until the finish - and no doubt a bill for it's replacement too)

Sore today and bike has a bit of damage

My Finish time was circa 3 hours 41 so should be placed 52nd - hopefully the organisers will be able to place from the video

And to the rider if you are reading this, I hope you are not hurt, but please learn how to ride in a group
  • Rabcp wrote:
    also saw some highly suspect riding, changing lines mid pack and random swervage....
    ! ;-)

Yeah tell me about it, .... a big thanks to the numpty who sucked my (and others) wheels for 25 miles and then decided on the logierait section downhill bits that he would zoom past me only to swerve all over the place on the climbs in the middle of our group. Predictably, he clipped a wheel and fell down in front of me. (I had already warned him to hold his line after a previous incident)

No place to go, I ploughed straight into him and over the handlebars. Limped the final 2-3 miles to the finish with brakes jammed on.

And to cap it all, no time recorded for me as my timing chip snapped off in the crash (not discovered until the finish - and no doubt a bill for it's replacement too)

Sore today and bike has a bit of damage

My Finish time was circa 3 hours 41 so should be placed 52nd - hopefully the organisers will be able to place from the video

And to the rider if you are reading this, I hope you are not hurt, but please learn how to ride in a group

Was this on the steep ramp in the trees before the final climb up to the farm? I was in the fast group that came in from 3:37 to 3:40 or so. A guy touched wheels behind me in the middle of the group and went with a big bang (I was the BMC rider)
  • rabk
    Rabcp wrote:
    ! ;-)

Was this on the steep ramp in the trees before the final climb up to the farm? I was in the fast group that came in from 3:37 to 3:40 or so. A guy touched wheels behind me in the middle of the group and went with a big bang (I was the BMC rider)

Yeah that was where it was, I was the Ayr roads rider. I had tried to get in front of this guy as he had nearly bumped into me on the previous climb, but he zoomed past on the descent down to that final climb up to the farm, cut across in front of me and tried to go through the middle of us, clipped a wheel and went down and took me with him.
  • Well I wasn't in a polka dot and I certainly was no king of the mountain, I was wearing a Giro D'Italia top (mainly to piss off my mate and be easy to spot for her indoors). So if at any stage I cut you up apologies.... My fave moment was just prior to the KoTM when I drafted another Giro Italia top wearer, he was slower but I was hoping for some wise crack from a passing faster cyclist.... it never came. I reckon I only passed those with punctures etc up the hill. Must work on my climbing but maybe also shed some of my mid life lard.
    Cycle fatboy cycle.
  • I'll admit I have a KoM shirt for commuting - I figure people will tend to notice it more. I figured I'd earned it since I have done the Pyrenees and the Alps
  • Rabcp wrote:
    Rabcp wrote:
    ! ;-)

Yeah that was where it was, I was the Ayr roads rider. I had tried to get in front of this guy as he had nearly bumped into me on the previous climb, but he zoomed past on the descent down to that final climb up to the farm, cut across in front of me and tried to go through the middle of us, clipped a wheel and went down and took me with him.

To still do 3:41 is very impressive - which must have made it all the more frustrating. Better luck next time. The road was narrowing too, dunno how he thought he could get through the middle. Personally I'd have kicked his helmet in.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    I got 914th on KOM @ 25.12 which isnt bad for a 15 1/2st lard arse. Nobody passed me on the climb which was quite something, although that might have something to do with being in amongst the later starters due to my mates mechanical problems. After the steep first section I big ring it to the top and felt really good.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    davelakers wrote:
    I got 914th on KOM @ 25.12 which isnt bad for a 15 1/2st lard ars*. Nobody passed me on the climb which was quite something, although that might have something to do with being in amongst the later starters due to my mates mechanical problems. After the steep first section I big ring it to the top and felt really good.

Your KOM time was a few seconds ahead of mine i was pleased to be in top 1000 for the climb and i finished at 4 hr 23 for the event so was chuffed to bits with that. Got some good groups going on that last 30 mile section was a right blast.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • rabk
    Rabcp wrote:
    Rabcp wrote:
    ! ;-)

To still do 3:41 is very impressive - which must have made it all the more frustrating. Better luck next time. The road was narrowing too, dunno how he thought he could get through the middle. Personally I'd have kicked his helmet in.

Thanks TBJ

Would probably have been a 3.38 looking at the other times of the guys around me.

As I said before, I hope he is ok, but I am pretty grumpy and sore.

Otherwise - what a great day, super support from the locals. really enjoyed it.
  • doogee
    doogee Posts: 82
    the biggest gripe was the lack of through and off.... entire "pace lines" just sitting on letting some poor sod flog themselves to death- the only way I could get rid of some of them was to swing wide brake and change down to get people to come through and pull......
    its only manners ! ;-)

I had this a few times, usually when I was on my own for a bit I'd glance over my shoulder to find a 'train' sitting on my wheel. It didn't overly bother me but it took a few miles for someone to get the message and take a turn. On one occasion I got fed up and pulled wide right and only one guy came through, I tagged on to him and we worked together for a bit having dropped the others. It was great fun though and as my first sportive I don't think I could have done much better in event choice!!

I was 183rd in the KOM with a time of 22m 2s, hope to improve on that next year!
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    these are the reasons I don't like Sportives. Too many people are used to riding around with mates or on their own and it leads to bad habits. I was one of them but my partner who cycles had learnt her cycling from old guys in the CTC and audaxing who emphasised the need for constant pedalling if on the front etc. The track is also a great place to learn those skills.
    M.Rushton
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    I think some of these comments are a bit naive. If you are a regular sportive-er it can't be too difficult to work out that in a field of 3600 there are going to be a large number of first timers and hobby cyclists. The publicity surrounding this event also garuntees that, out of the seven people at Bompington's accomodation there were only two with previous experience IIRC. If you are an experienced rider then it should be possible to watch for the people who are obviously novices or acting erratically and give them a wide berth.

I've never done one of these before (apart from the Bealach the week before) and managed to get round with no incidents at all, maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm just more aware of what's going on around me.

RANT OFF

KOTM I was 774 in 24.50, not bad for an old bloke with two knackered legs. I put it down to my local knowledge. :wink:
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • brgp
    brgp Posts: 11
    the thing that got me was the low numbers on "bigger" riders- I saw a couple in the the 300s who were verging on morbidly obese for their height..... so surely this means they thought they could get round in some super fast time to get that seeding number no?)

Well I am on the high side of 15stone, and my XL clothing appears to have shrunk in the wash, but still managed a low 3:50 time and in the 200's for the KOM. Not all "morbidly obese" riders are slow. My times came after snapping my front mech 3 miles in and having to change down with my heal and up with my hand (tricky as my minimum bend radius is quite large - but fortunately managed to keep on bike and all my digits intact).
  • brgp wrote:
    the thing that got me was the low numbers on "bigger" riders- I saw a couple in the the 300s who were verging on morbidly obese for their height..... so surely this means they thought they could get round in some super fast time to get that seeding number no?)

Well I am on the high side of 15stone, and my XL clothing appears to have shrunk in the wash, but still managed a low 3:50 time and in the 200's for the KOM. Not all "morbidly obese" riders are slow. My times came after snapping my front mech 3 miles in and having to change down with my heal and up with my hand (tricky as my minimum bend radius is quite large - but fortunately managed to keep on bike and all my digits intact).

Good work fella, bugger maybe I'm just naturally dead slow up the hills, though I'm much closer to the 18 stone mark. I like many newbies had registered on the safe side, over 5hrs 30mins. I seemed to be regularly passing people with much lower numbers and much slimmer than me on the flat including someone with the number 90. However they could've had some tech issues/crashes etc. Or just registered as the same time band as their pals
    Cycle fatboy cycle.
  • davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    brgp wrote:

Good work fella, bugger maybe I'm just naturally dead slow up the hills, though I'm much closer to the 18 stone mark. I like many newbies had registered on the safe side, over 5hrs 30mins. I seemed to be regularly passing people with much lower numbers and much slimmer than me on the flat including someone with the number 90. However they could've had some tech issues/crashes etc. Or just registered as the same time band as their pals

Im 15m 1/2 stone but certainly dont feel it. Up the longer drags I am slower than my club mates but for power up sharp inclines I can match them. I was passing many people who are way slimmer than me with much more expensive looking kit and it made me feel pretty good.

Its only whan I saw my photos from the event I realised how big I look but like I said, when Im on my bike I certainly dont feel like a lardarse and had plenty of energy left at the end. I often wonder if I was to lose a few stone how good a cyclist I could be, but as most people know its easier said then done!!
  • aberdeen_lune
    aberdeen_lune Posts: 547
    Hope you didnt pass me on my fancy bike . What a fantastic event. I did manage to get in the top 50 on the KOM but only the top 100 overall. I kept my energy for the last hill before you get to Pitlochry. That's my excuse anyway. One of our local riders was quickest up the big hill but I have the best part of 20kg extra to carry around with me.
  • godihatehills
    ok maybe ealrier commenrts were a little harsh but I maintain that there were quite a few riders who had underestimated what was required to get round in sub 4 hours, or seriously over estimated their abilities- leading to my thoughts that in general there is a misconception by those who dont ride regularly that cycling is piss easy and any fool could enter and win the TDF for example ( again swooping generalisation to get my point across) but fair play to them for getting nvolved and having a crack .

As for being more accepting of those new to the sport this is only the second sportive/ charity event Ive ever done ( first being L2P last year) and although being cautious Im certianly not prone to losing the wheel in front ( unless its intentional) or swerving or riding without awareness of the pack around me

- the Etape did a training ride earlier in the year so people witout experience could get an idea of what to expect. Ignorance isnt really an excuse, otherwise we'd all be excusing those who chucked skins and wrappers all over the road....
  • thecrofter
    Undoubtedly there were people who didn't have a clue and were ill prepared, like the guy whose sat-nav (I think) fell off on the climb up Schiehallion, instead of taking half a second to check he could stop and retrieve it safely he just stopped in the middle of the road and received some abuse.

I tried to work on the theory that everyone was a novice (like me) and that I would give them all room, unless they struck me as being someone who looked like they knew what they were doing. Like the guy in the Western Australia top and the one on the Planet X who I worked with round the Fortingall loop.
  • rabk
    thecrofter wrote:
    I think some of these comments are a bit naive. ......... If you are an experienced rider then it should be possible to watch for the people who are obviously novices or acting erratically and give them a wide berth.

RANT OFF

:

If you fully read my previous posts, you will see that not only did I indicate to him that he should hold his line (maybe he didn't hear me or didn't think it was aimed at him), but also got in front of him as I had identified him as a danger.

it appears he was trying to keep his momentum down the hill, to give him less of an uphill climb, this only works when there is not a congested road in front and weaving from far right on the road to left of centre, whilst cutting in front of me recklesly, produced the eventual outcome.

Sadly, his wilful disregard for others, resulted in his own dowfall (and mine)
  • As a novice I certainly tried to keep left and look over my shoulder before popping out to pass people, I was frequently frustrated by people drifting without looking and not cycling on the left as recommended by the regulations but just lived with it, the weaving was far more dangerous and errattic at the feeding stations which I did not use. What was amusing was catching faster riders eventually who then stopped to feed and then seemed to reappear swiftly hammering past. I hope I didn't repeated their behaviour but can't be certain. I even spent quite a few miles close to a rider in the 490-499 seeding towards the cheeky hill at 76 miles who with no one about in front for several tens of yards insisted on cycling bang in the middle of the road.... I assumed most people numbered sub 1000 would be experienced and possibly club cyclists.
    Cycle fatboy cycle.
  • thecrofter
    Rabcp wrote:
    thecrofter wrote:
    I think some of these comments are a bit naive. ......... If you are an experienced rider then it should be possible to watch for the people who are obviously novices or acting erratically and give them a wide berth.

RANT OFF

:

If you fully read my previous posts, you will see that not only did I indicate to him that he should hold his line (maybe he didn't hear me or didn't think it was aimed at him), but also got in front of him as I had identified him as a danger.

it appears he was trying to keep his momentum down the hill, to give him less of an uphill climb, this only works when there is not a congested road in front and weaving from far right on the road to left of centre, whilst cutting in front of me recklesly, produced the eventual outcome.

Sadly, his wilful disregard for others, resulted in his own dowfall (and mine)

I did say some of the comments. The guy you've come across seems to have overestimated his own ability and the nature of this event to a careless level. I am being a bit of a Devil's Advocate and it's very easy to be wise after an event, but if the guy was so obviously reckless you could have stopped and had a drink or something for 30seconds and he'd have been well out of the way. (Not sure I'd have been able to think that clearly during the "race" myself :) ). I suppose everyone is trying to get a good time, some people forget to be safe and after all it's not a race.

Where's that "can of worms" graphic????
    58585 Posts: 207
    A few comments on here aren't doing much to get folk into cycling, I have to say.
    Are there really adults who are still on the level of commenting on people's choice of clothing or body size? :?
    If you enter an event where there is no requirement what so ever on ability you have to accept that there will be a large number of entrants with no idea what they are doing. Entering a sportive and trying to get a good time is a personal choice, but no-one can expect a high level of skill so it's your own gamble.

Maybe if people are interested in getting a good time and the competitive aspect you might be better served joining a club and racing?
    Moaning about people being out of shape, wearing KoM jerseys and not having a clue is a bit of a shame really, and I hope it doesn't put anyone off giving the Etape or similar events a go.
  • godihatehills
    hey people can wear what they like and as I said fair play to them for having a crack.... but its that realistic outlook I was commenting on - if as you say people enter with no idea how can they realistically expect to finish in a time within the top 15 %?
    in what world does that seem like a good idea?
  • neil²
    neil² Posts: 337
    I came in 38th in KOTM and must say that despite there being lots of (relatively) slow people, everyone at least tried to give space when called properly from behind.

Elsewhere on the course there were a few numptys who seemed to block quicker riders but considering the numbers these were few and far between and I am slow to criticise, as they might themselves be trying to rejoin their own group, albeit slightly slower than mine. I think that there were a lot of riders who were not used to riding in groups and so didn't have a lot of discipline but that's fine - they've now done this one and so should improve.

I spoke to the guy whose Garmin fell off on Schiehallion - he was understandably anxious to get the debris off the line as quick as possible. He was certainly not poorly prepared - he came in with me in 4:11, is a regular club rider and has previously finished similar events in the top 50.

I thought that KOTM was an excellent addition to the event, coming at a nice point in the ride.
  • thecrofter
    neil² wrote:
    I spoke to the guy whose Garmin fell off on Schiehallion - he was understandably anxious to get the debris off the line as quick as possible. He was certainly not poorly prepared - he came in with me in 4:11, is a regular club rider and has previously finished similar events in the top 50.

I thought that KOTM was an excellent addition to the event, coming at a nice point in the ride.

Must have been a different guy, this guy didn't look like the sort of person who'd do 4.11. I did 4.20 and had him for toast. :D
    KOTM was an interesting addition, good fun
  • godihatehills
    agreed the KOTM comp added a differnet dynamic.... shame there was so much flat and downhill in it though!