Law enforcement at its best!

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I'm stopped at the lights in the ASL at the end of Baylis road heading towards The Cut or left towards the Imax cinema. A police officer off his bike shouting across the ASL, I think to myself

"I can't see anyone who has passed the ASL or RLJ'd".

There wasn't. The target of this masterful policing was a person on a moped, to whom the policeman berated with

"Don't stop in the ASL, it is intended for cyclist. Do it again and you'll get a £60 fine!"

A few of us cyclist cheered!
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    Now all we need is one of these guys at every ASL. i don't usually mind 1 or 2 in the ASL, but it's when there is 4 in a row using the whole ASL or 6 motorbike rushing past you as the lights turn green because they must be in front!
  • Salsamander
    Salsamander Posts: 53
    That's excellent, all it will take is a bit of enforcement and we will rid the ASL box of motor vehicles forever! (maybe).
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Its all etiquette isn't it. If I ride my motorbike, I always leave the lhs clear for bikes, if I go into a ASL, I'll stop at the back of it rather than the front to leave bikes space. On a bike, I try to filter on LHS rather than outside RHS of traffic and not to cycle in an inconsiderate manner for motorcyclists too.

But then today I nipped around the outside of a van going into a car park almost causing the barrier do go down on his van. :oops: My bad - went back to apologise, but it was inconsiderate riding by me....
  • MadammeMarie
    MadammeMarie Posts: 621
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'm stopped at the lights in the ASL at the end of Baylis road heading towards The Cut or left towards the Imax cinema. A police officer off his bike shouting across the ASL, I think to myself

"I can't see anyone who has passed the ASL or RLJ'd".

There wasn't. The target of this masterful policing was a person on a moped, to whom the policeman berated with

"Don't stop in the ASL, it is intended for cyclist. Do it again and you'll get a £60 fine!"

A few of us cyclist cheered!

This today??? That's my route and I missed it?? Damn...!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah a guy at work who rides a moped in told me he was stopped by the police for entering an ASL box. Perhaps we're finally getting some enforcement. The problem is, ASLs haven't been enforced for so long that most moped and motorbike riders think they ARE allowed in ASLs (despite the pretty picture of a bicycle).

The guy I work with who got stopped thought he was allowed in ASLs, I had to email him a link to the relevant page of the Highway Code before he'd believe me when I said he wasn't supposed to be in them. This was before he got stopped by the police, so he blatantly ignored the link I sent.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    mroli wrote:
    Its all etiquette isn't it. If I ride my motorbike, I always leave the lhs clear for bikes, if I go into a ASL, I'll stop at the back of it rather than the front to leave bikes space. On a bike, I try to filter on LHS rather than outside RHS of traffic and not to cycle in an inconsiderate manner for motorcyclists too.

But then today I nipped around the outside of a van going into a car park almost causing the barrier do go down on his van. :oops: My bad - went back to apologise, but it was inconsiderate riding by me....

That's great, really helpful when I filter down the right hand side to access the ASL. And you leave a big space in front of you that I can't access? Nice touch!
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    The only thing that mopeds are good for is setting on fire and throwing off the upper tier in Italian football stadia.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    MatHammond wrote:
    mroli wrote:

That's great, really helpful when I filter down the right hand side to access the ASL. And you leave a big space in front of you that I can't access? Nice touch!

Absolutely! I can't stand it when you filter along the right to get to the ASL and some helpful b'stard in an enormous motorbike sitting in the ASL has completely blocked access, leaving me stuck in the middle of the road...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • if thats policing at its best then the real criminals are in for an easy time :? :shock:
  • spursn17
    spursn17 Posts: 284
    if thats policing at its best then the real criminals are in for an easy time :? :shock:

At least it's a start.

Small steps.
  • On a similar note, I saw an RLJ-er get stopped by a police car the other day. Guy went through a red light at a junction and the police car behind him set off in hot pursuit. Last I saw the two cops were talking to him by the side of the rode with their notepads out.

I found it all rather amusing, especially considering the guy filtered past the police car in order to jump through the lights; the dolt!