Sportive week ahead planning

Next saturday, im doing my first sportive (seite picos-requena valencia). Im just wondering how best to pass the time this week, I think i should just do some easy rides, eat healthy food, and drink loads of water.
Also i can't decide what I should take with me on the day. So far on my list I have tool kit, 2 spare tubes, pump, food (gels, dried apricots, cereal bars, bananas), arm warmers, rain jaket (if needed), and cuddly toy,
With so much stuff im thinking of using my camelback without the water insead of cramming everything into my pockets.
Any thoughts?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    edited May 2010
    How many miles is the sportive?

Regarding your list, it sounds about right for a long ride (apart from the toy :) ) but I would stuff the tool kit and tubes into a seatpost bag and the rest into my back pockets. I wouldn't want to be carrying a back pack of any type.

EDIT: By "seatpost bag", I mean this kind of thing:

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/produc ... x?&id=1918
  • it's 185 km....ive been wearing the backpack for a week now and seems ok, doesn't bother me too much, I don't think it will all fit in my back pockets.
  • dombo6
    dombo6 Posts: 582
    Get one of those little pouches that fit to the top tube. It'll take 6 cereal bars and they'll be easier to access. Apricots in back pocket, gels and bananas plus sachet of your fave drink mix in the other, leaving middle pocket for phone, id etc and rainjacket. Eat the bananas before the off and replace them at the feedstops.
    Also maybe take salted cashews or peanuts to ward off cramps (unless you have nut allergy of course)
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Your list seems fine.
    Do you have a small saddle bag and a jersey with 3 pockets at the back.

Only short rides towards the end of the week. Rest the day before if possible.
    exercise.png
  • I have a small saddle bag which is full with 2 inner tubes, maybe could do with one, and hope I don't get 2 puntures...NUTS, ive never thought of eating nuts, are very digestable? I get the impression a back pack is not recommended, I guess after 7 hours it might get a bit annoying!
  • Stuntman
    Stuntman Posts: 267
    Not that the back pack would be annoying, I've worn one for a lot longer than 7 hours but you want your body to breathe, not boiling your spine is a good feeling.

Top tube or saddle bag is ideal, unless you have a wicked jerset with some deep pockets, but practise reaching in to them and getting what you want from them. No distractions on the ride fumbling around in your pockets and getting a hand stuck.

Nuts are good for salt but try pretzels, less weight to them. but essentially use what you use in training as you know it works.

good luck :)
    Specialized Epic
    Specialized Enduro
    Specialzied Transition