Point me on the path of righteousness please

Avoneer
Avoneer Posts: 525
edited May 2010 in The workshop
Hi All,

Does anyone else get into the bad habit of buying a shed loads of bits and realising after a few months that you still only have one good bike, loads of bits and no money left?

Anyway, I have my Giant Defy 4 with tri-bars that I use for long training runs when it's sunny and Duathlons.

I also had (sold this weekend) an old steel GT mountain bike on skinnies that I used day in day out for commuting all year round - it had full guards, was very predictable and bullet proof - wondering on whether I should have sold it now!

Leaving me without a bike to commute on in all weathers,

I don't like drops for commuting.

Anyway, I currently have an old Scott YZ4 shcool run bike that I'm trying to sell and a Cyclocross frame that I have been working on to try and make it into my new commuting all year all weather machine but........

I got the Cycloross bike all set up, but have ended up with something just like my Defy 4 for drops and gears etc. and it's not working for me as a commuter.

Thinking of now turning it into a tripple (it's currently a compact, but it's hard work in the Yorkshire hills on my commute with it's current 36 and 25) using MTB gears, changing the cantis for v brakes and fitting a flat bar - will have to buy some more bits though to do this and still might not like it!

The Carerra Gryphon does it for me and seems like a well sorted bike.

Anyway, here's what bits I have - can someone throw me some words of wisdom before the wife finds out and give me some thoughts/ideas/suggestions please.

Cyclocross frame with canti's, full Sora 9 speed compact set up and nice wheels (Shimano RS20's).

SRAM Attack shifters.

1 Mavic front wheel.

I could sell the Sora groupset, and the Cyclocross frame etc. and buy a Gryphon, but don't want to end up out of pocket and I need to sort something quickly.

Help,

Hope that reads ok,

Pat...
"Campagnolo has soul, Shimano has ruthless efficiency and SRAM has yet to acquire mystique. Differentiating between them is a matter of taste"