Rockrider 5.2 as an entry level bike

crohnoes
crohnoes Posts: 21
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all, I'm very new to the scene. I'm looking for an entry level hybrid-ish bike that I can use to get around on. I won't be tackling any mountains soon, maybe a steep road or a hill from time to time, but most of the time I'll be using it to keep ahead of fitness on the promenade and maybe out of country on the small country lanes.

I don't want to spend too much money on what could possibly be a passing fad, so I've looked into lower end bikes with good reviews. BikeRadar give the Decathlon Rockrider 5.2 a very nice review, so I've been considering this.

Can anyone back up this review or offer an alternative? My budget is fairly limitless, but I'd prefer to spend roughly 200 quid there abouts. I'm looking for a bike that gets a good ratio of value for money spend. If you can find a bike with a bigger bang for buck than the Rockrider, feel free to recommend it.

I was also looking in to the Carrera bikes, but there are no Halford sales at the moment. How often do Halfords have sales on their bikes?

Cheers in advance. Feel free to ask questions if you need a bit more information.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is the best 200 quid bike there is. Full stop. I would happily ride it.

If it fits, buy one.

But... no limit budget?! Relative budget is one thing, but :wink:
  • diamondbacker
    diamondbacker Posts: 224
    I was going to ask a similiar question. But why is it better than other bikes around this price such as the Vulcan? Is it the frame, fork or other stuff?
  • PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    Decathlon have huge buying power which normally means you get good value components for you money...If you only want to spend a few hundred quid its a very safe bet...Bought my better half a GIANT ROCK for around €300 last year instead of a RockRider, and have regretted it ever since, the ROCK is rubbish, bottom bracket almost shot, rear wheel slightly buckled...
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    PXR5? Wow, a Hawkwind/Hawklords fan... now that takes me back :D 'Spirit of tha Age' is still a favourite of mine.
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building