Exploding tyre?

Hunterg46
Hunterg46 Posts: 133
edited May 2010 in Amateur race
I had a race this morning at Goodwood, and after discovering a puncture before I left home, then getting another puncture during the race, my front wheel (which was not punctured) just randomly exploded while on the bike rack driving home. Any idea as to what might have caused it to explode? It made an extremely loud bang, and completely tore the whole tyre apart, despite not coming into contact with anything?

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Exhaust pipe?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Hunterg46
    doubt it, wasn't anywhere near...
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    faulty tube, perished tyre, random act of god... Most likely the tyre wall was weak somewhere and just went.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    bird strike..? was the bike covered in feathers afterwards..?

seriously, what pressure were you running...?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Al Quaeda are targeting random, western, coca-cola drinking, pork chop eating bike racers. Film at 11. :wink:
  • Hunterg46
    Some nice ideas ;) but none seem likely.

Whats weird, is that if it had been a faulty tube etc... I'm pretty sure it would have blown during the 5miles of the race I did manage to do :?
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    ash cloud
    i ride a hardtail
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Bumble bee ran into is @ss-backwards at high speed.
  • fiftyacorns
    fiftyacorns Posts: 66
    what sort of tyre - i had a schwalbe ultremo do this to me in a race as the tyre wall was faulty
  • Hunterg46
    It was some type of Schwalbe, probably the most basic seeing as it only cost about £12
  • aguillar
    aguillar Posts: 21
    Might be an idea to transport the bike to and from events with the tyres at lower pressure. I do. Pump them up just before the start and let some air out afterwards. Don't fancy tyres at 10bar in the car with me if one decides to let go. More likely to pop in transit anyway from what I've seen in the past..