At least this isn't my/your commute!!

Aguila
Aguila Posts: 622
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Next time you have a near miss/crash you can at least be thankful it wasn't along here!

Mental. :shock:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8683075.stm

Comments

• jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    It's great fun, start in the freezing cold and freewheel down to the steamy jungle. The views are amazing and it doesn't feel all that risky once you're underway. Wouldn't want to do it uphill, though ;)
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Pah. I do Hyde Park Corner gyratory every day.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    That was on Top Gear, wasn't it?

And yeah, not much traffic. Easier to get out of the way on a bike. Hyde Park Corner = far more dangerous!
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    Agreed, the last thing you want at the end of the day is an 11,800 foot climb ;-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    prj45 wrote:
    Pah. I do Hyde Park Corner gyratory every day.

:lol:
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I thought this was a story about Maryhill Road!! :wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076

And yeah, not much traffic. Easier to get out of the way on a bike. Hyde Park Corner = far more dangerous!

Yup, thats the road!

Tell me I'm not the only cyclist who tackles this on the road, as I go around there are looooads of cyclists in the middle looking at me like I'm mad, not even sure how they get there!
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    meh ive cycled down it. that article is nothing more than scare mongering.

the only reason it is dangerous is they let anyone who can balane on a bike ride down it. The road itself isnt dangerous, its just the drops off the side which anyone who can ride a bike will avoid going over.

I in fact got 'in trouble' with the leader of my group for taking the racing line down the road.

I did in fact find the ride quite boring.
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    iPete wrote:

Yup, thats the road!

Tell me I'm not the only cyclist who tackles this on the road, as I go around there are looooads of cyclists in the middle looking at me like I'm mad, not even sure how they get there!

i go round on the road. It is quicker than going through the middle, where you get stopped by the lights. When I get there (about 07.30 / 18.15) it is about 80% through the middle & 20% round the outside.
    <a>road</a>
  • el_presidente
    el_presidente Posts: 1,963
    spasypaddy wrote:

the only reason it is dangerous is they let anyone who can balane on a bike ride down it. The road itself isnt dangerous, its just the drops off the side which anyone who can ride a bike will avoid going over.

I in fact got 'in trouble' with the leader of my group for taking the racing line down the road.

yes the quote in that article with the girl who said she braked so hard she nearly went over the front didn't inpire confidence in her biking skills
    <a>road</a>
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    spasypaddy wrote:

yes the quote in that article with the girl who said she braked so hard she nearly went over the front didn't inpire confidence in her biking skills
    being a cyclist (even if i am a roadie) meant i ended up getting on very well with the guides (so much so one of them lent me his brand new hard tail for a bit whcih he hadnt let anyone else ride). They were telling me that they've only ever stopped 2 people going down it and that was because they had NEVER ridden a bike before in their life.

I also ended up going out on another ride with the guides and did some proper mountain biking which was a hell of a lot of fun and three or four of the guides came along just to do the ride as it was actual fun and challenging.

Bolivia has some amazng MTB riding but it also has the WMDR.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    iPete wrote:

Yup, thats the road!

i go round on the road. It is quicker than going through the middle, where you get stopped by the lights. When I get there (about 07.30 / 18.15) it is about 80% through the middle & 20% round the outside.

I've gone through the middle a few times, it takes forever waiting for the lights, and I don't think there's a route from the middle to the road down to Victoria, which is where I'm often going.

Road = quicker, as ever. Not that dangerous either, lighted roundabouts are pretty safe.