Cycling to work

macp
macp Posts: 94
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Sorry originally posted in the wrong forum

I need a cycle Its only an 8mls round trip to work and back and I am becoming more rotund as I get into my early 40`s.I know I can do that no prob on something fast and light so thinking of a road bike maybe like a Claud Butler Echelon but you are looking at a minimum of 500 quid for a relatively decent road bike.

Ive currently got a Halfords Mogul limited edition MTB.I switched the tyres to Schwalbe road tyres which helps but it still weighs a ton and gears are still all over the place even though they have had it back twice.Once because the crank was shagged from new!!

So Ive done the commute one or two times and I know I can do it but a lot of it is NSL B roads with blind bends.Scary stuff Shocked

I had a Dawes Discovery 601 which I flogged to help pay for a family holiday.It was lovely & light with carbon forks.A Rolls Royce in comparison wish I still had it.

Anybody else doing this or had similar thoughts.Of course any advice is always appreciated.

Comments

• tomb353
    tomb353 Posts: 196
    i suppose first question is whether there might be some alternative routes you could explore which avoid the worst of the fast b roads, e.g. some off road bridle-ways? I would tough it out on the MTB with slicks until you answer this question, as if you buy a full on road bike you may limit your options. (or run out and get a cyclocross bike now, which will cope with anything).
    vendor of bicycle baskets & other stuff www.tynebicycle.co.uk
    www.tynebicycle.co.uk/blog
    Kinesis Tripster
    Gazelle NY Cab
    Surly Steamroller
    Cannondale F100
  • macp
    tomb353 wrote:
    i suppose first question is whether there might be some alternative routes you could explore which avoid the worst of the fast b roads, e.g. some off road bridle-ways? I would tough it out on the MTB with slicks until you answer this question, as if you buy a full on road bike you may limit your options. (or run out and get a cyclocross bike now, which will cope with anything).

Well Not really I live in a village but if I turn left or right at the end of my drive eventually I end up on a major road.Good thought though and I will definitely check it out further.

Im thinking road bike as most of my riding will be on road.Is it better to buy the best used bike you can find or go new.I would prefer not to spend anymore than £300.There is new stuff out there from Viking,Barracuda but dont know how good they are and is it a good idea to stick out for carbon forks ?

Have seen this but the owner says the wheels could do with truing.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Many thanks
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    Personally I would put a limited budget like £300 into a second hand bike. That way you cuild pick up something that was £600 when new. The trouble is, you need to know what you are looking for, and bidding on if you but through eBay. Do you have a buddy to guide you - or is that us?

I was able to buy a road bike (carbon/aluminium frame) with tiagra triple for £280 and I am very happy.

If you buy new, the quality of the componets will be much lower. Of course, you may need to replace some cables, or other components, but many are very cheap.

Just my opinion.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • macp
    Lycra Man wrote:
    Personally I would put a limited budget like £300 into a second hand bike. That way you cuild pick up something that was £600 when new. The trouble is, you need to know what you are looking for, and bidding on if you but through eBay. Do you have a buddy to guide you - or is that us?

I was able to buy a road bike (carbon/aluminium frame) with tiagra triple for £280 and I am very happy.

If you buy new, the quality of the componets will be much lower. Of course, you may need to replace some cables, or other components, but many are very cheap.

Just my opinion.

Lycra Man

Cheers Lycra Man
    Im afraid you lot are my guides just call me billy. Went into my local bike shop today who are good people and was offered a brand new 2009 model Claud Butler Echelon for £429.He says its a big frame 59" and could do with shifting it.It fits me just with my 33-34" inside leg and Im very tempted but its still not quite cheap enough.