Cycling & driving to work

macp
macp Posts: 94
edited May 2010 in MTB general
SWMBO and I need a car each no doubt about it but I need a cycle too within my meagre 1200 quid budget.Its only about 4mls to work and I am becoming more rotund as I get into my early 40`s.I know I can do that no prob on something fast and light so thinking of a road bike maybe like a Claud Butler Echelon but you are looking at a minimum of 500 quid for a relatively decent road bike.Means the car budget is slashed to around 700 though and there are no showers in our building.

Ive currently got a Halfords Mogul limited edition MTB.I switched the tyres to Schwalbe road tyres which helps but it still weighs a ton and gears are still all over the place even though they have had it back twice.Once because the crank was shagged from new!!

So Ive done the commute one or two times and I know I can do it but a lot of it is NSL B roads with blind bends.Scary stuff :shock:

I had a Dawes Discovery 601 which I flogged to help pay for a family holiday.It was lovely & light with carbon forks.A Rolls Royce in comparison wish I still had it.

Anybody else doing this or had similar thoughts.Of course any advice is always appreciated.

Comments

• RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    For 4 miles I'd be tempted to go for a bmx, just because they're fun and still fairly quick. But if you don't fancy that, then go for a road bike.

Maybe look on ebay? If its not too hilly, look for a single speed as that will save you money, weight, and maintenance.
  • macp
    macp Posts: 94
    Sorry guys
    Realised I had posted this in the wrong section so started another thread here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/forums/vi ... highlight=