Giordana bibs Sizing..

anto164
anto164 Posts: 3,500
edited May 2010 in Road buying advice
Going to order some Giordana bibs, but i'm a bit quizzed about the sizing.

Looked at the ribble website, and waist wise i'm sat in the large bracket (31"), but chest size, i'm sat in the medium size (37").

BTW, i'm 5'11"

Just wondering which size is best to get. I can't really go into a store to get a set, because i don't know anywhere local that stocks Giordana.

Cheers.

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    They are smaller than Assos, if that's any help. I take a Medium in Giordana and a small in Assos. I have a 29" waist, but they are snug around the thighs (I'm 5'7"). You can ignore the chest sizing, that's for jerseys. (The chart is a general one) . Large sounds about right for you. Good quality shorts at a decent price.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,663
    I've got a few pairs of Girodana bibs, and to make things more difficult it depends which model you get.

I'm 6'1, 34" waist. I have Tenax in XL which are a lovely fit, not tight at all, but no slack anywhere. I've also got some Silverline in XL which are just a teeny bit large on me. To be honest, I could wear just a Large in either of them quite comfortably. I have a pair of Santini in Large and they are definitely smaller size but still very comfortable.

If you get anything in the Body Clone range it may be worth getting an extra size up - I bought one of the long sleeve jerseys in XL and it is a spray on fit, VERY snug, but superbly cut and finished. But if that is XL, then a medium woul dfit a 10 year old at best.. :D
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • jmeadows
    jmeadows Posts: 335
    i am a 30" waist & a 38" chest & i have medium
    never hurts your eyes to look on the bright side of life...
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    33" and 5'11" and I'm XL
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • anto164
    Cool.

Just ordered size Large with a few other bits and bobs.
  • DVV
    DVV Posts: 126
    Any more help on this issue will be gratefully receieved...

I am 5' 10.5", 85Kg, 32" waist, 33" inside leg and looking to buy some Giordana Silverline bib shorts.

Unfortunately I see lots of conflicting issues on sizing, and I'm not sure whether to go for a large or a medium. Any direct experience? The main issue with them being too small seems to be strap length. Such a pain that I can't try any on...
  • Garry H
    DVV wrote:
    Any more help on this issue will be gratefully receieved...

I am 5' 10.5", 85Kg, 32" waist, 33" inside leg and looking to buy some Giordana Silverline bib shorts.

Unfortunately I see lots of conflicting issues on sizing, and I'm not sure whether to go for a large or a medium. Any direct experience? The main issue with them being too small seems to be strap length. Such a pain that I can't try any on...

You're definitely not a medium. I'm 5'7" and 68 kg and find medium in Silverlind and Tenax to fit perfectly.
  • DVV
    Whoops. I meant Large or XL.... sorry!
  • Garry H
    DVV wrote:
    Whoops. I meant Large or XL.... sorry!

Just wait until Anto gets his, then ask again :wink:
  • DVV
    I'm not sure how productive my asking will be to be honest, I have read people 5'10" tall saying how they wouldn't want smaller than XL, and I have read 6'1" people saying they don't think they need bigger than L...!
  • I have just bought some tenax carbon from ribble. I'm about 5' 10" with a 33 inch waist and got XL.

I think they were perfect as they are nice and close fitting on the thigh. The pad fits nicely and feels in the right place without being to tight or loose. The bib straps pull a fair bit when stood up but as soon as your on the bike in position they are fine.

A large for me would've felt like a cheese wire when stood up! But I may have got away with them when on the bike.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • I have just bought some tenax carbon from ribble. I'm about 5' 10" with a 33 inch waist and got XL.

I think they were perfect as they are nice and close fitting on the thigh. The pad fits nicely and feels in the right place without being to tight or loose. The bib straps pull a fair bit when stood up but as soon as your on the bike in position they are fine.

A large for me would've felt like a cheese wire when stood up! But I may have got away with them when on the bike.

I'm 5'11" with a 33" waist and XL are similarly good for me. They're a little short when standing up (short legs, long body) but spot on when on the bike.
    Who you gonna believe? Me or your own eyes?
  • DVV
    Thanks all. I have now ordered some Giordana Silverline in XL!
  • DVV
    Hmmm... my XL Giordana SIlverline bibs arrived today and I tried them on over some fresh underpants.

Compared to my DHB Earnley Medium:

- The straps seem about the same (maybe a teeny bit looser, but that could be my imagination).
    - The leg section is a little bit longer longer, extending to just above the start of my quads, and the lycra feels a touch looser around the legs as a result.
    - Around the lower back they also feel a touch looser, possibly just a difference in cut/material?

So i'm not sure if I have the right size. Any bibshort sizing experts? I'm not sure if the large would be too small, or just a little bit smaller (i.e. probably just right).

I certainly don't have any problem with the strap length being too short in this size.
  • anto164
    Hey, got my silverlines yesterday,and the size is good.

A little tight over the shoulders, but once on the bike, you don't notice it.

If i had gone for the XL, it would have probably started to get a bit baggy around the waist area, but medium is probably too short in the shoulders to fit.

I'm keeping my Larges :) Went out for a 28mile ride in them yesterday, and they were super comfy.
  • DVV
    I'm gonna send back my XL and get some L I think.

The leg grippers are too low down, which means that they are on a comparatively skinny part of my leg and feel loose. The shoulder straps have room to stretch, so I think an L size will be good.

Are Ribble decent with returns?