ANOTHER cyclist dead in Thanet

wyadvd
wyadvd Posts: 590
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
it is with great regret that i report another death on the roads in cyclist v 7.5 tonnes yesterday morning . a posty on his way to work at 4am.

Can anyone answer this:: the newspaper reports of these collisions include no real details of how the accident happens (so i can learn how to survive myself) how do i find out? Ive tried foi requests with the police, talking to jounalist , none of which work!....are inquest dates published anywhere?

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    And another one
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... 682259.stm
    :(

I suspect the usual 'don't undertake lorries, make yourself visible, etc' advice applies. But that's obviously no guarantee.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    bails87 wrote:
    And another one
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west ... 682259.stm
    :(

I suspect the usual 'don't undertake lorries, make yourself visible, etc' advice applies. But that's obviously no guarantee.

And rather sadly this "dont undertake" advice is rolled out when it hasnt always happened. And if people cant see you at 2.30 in the afternoon then perhaps they need an eyecheck. :?

Any death is a pointless death when like this.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    8-9 people die on the roads every day. Proportionately as a cyclist one is more likely to be killed than a car driver, something like 9x more likely :cry: .

RIP these two cyclists and condolences to their families and friends.

Hopefully we can find something out about them as people and cyclists.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • wyadvd
    here is a pretty scientific paper detailing the true risks of cyling compared to other means of transport (like walking on the pavement for instance!);

http://www.cyclehelmets.org/papers/c2014.pdf
  • wyadvd
    if you are going to compare risks it has to be on a per hour travelled or traveller km travelled. (ie multiply number of travellers by distance travelled or time travelled and divide the casualties by this figure) on that basis cycling gives fairly consistently a x2 risk of death compared to car travel. which gives a pretty good risk compared to walking somewhere.

A very large proportion of these deaths are kids riding the wrong way on the pavement with no lights at 11 at night. so if you are a competant cyclist riding on the road where you belong I reckon the risk is about even stevens with driving.
  • wyadvd
    so to clarify dillemma, your x9 figure is the increased risk of death being a cyclist in the event of a collison compared to a car driver. NOT the overall risk of death per cyclist kilometre?
    thats the important and meaningful figure really isnt it?