Solway Sportive

Anyone know if weather reports accurate for tomorrow, hoping it's not as this is my first sportive! :lol:

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    it has been wrong for the last two days but I'm taking kit for all weathers just in case.

Don't mind the rain as once you're wet, you're wet; its is the strong westerly that I don't like the look of.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    It was a perfect day for cycling ( I don't know which forecast you looked at, but the BBC detailed one was exactly as it turned out, overnight rain but the day getting brighter as it progressed)

I got a late entry in and I'm so glad I did. Brilliant event. These are my local roads so I knew it was a great route, but was even better ( and faster) as a sportive.
    Thanks to the Dunfirmline contingent who caught me just at the right time at the start of the flatter section, I was dragged along to a faster time than I thought I was capable of ( beat several clubmates :lol: (4hrs 6mins )
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk
  • pneumatic
    Yes, a really good fun ride; big thanks to the organisers. I think quite a few of us were over-dressed for the weather, but it was a bit chilly at the start.

Big respect to the Midlothian Machine, Peebles CC's "most determined novice of the year" prize to him, without a doubt. Twice he burned me off on the hills, twice I left him lying beside the road (literally) trying to shake off the cramp, twice he caught me up like a man possessed. In the end, he deserved to win the sprint to the line (which he decided to kick off at about 1200 metres out!! :shock: :shock:

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Yep, really enjoyed the sportive...roll on next year! Any idea where we get the results online??
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    really enjoyed the ride (and the saturday at Mabie)

one question - do people eat in Dumfries? the centre of town seems totally devoid of eateries. luckily i'm a cheap date and happy with pizza takeaway by the river :)
  • pneumatic
    LittleB0b wrote:

one question - do people eat in Dumfries? the centre of town seems totally devoid of eateries. luckily i'm a cheap date and happy with pizza takeaway by the river :)

Apparently, Castle Douglas is the food town.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• Humph
    Humph Posts: 31
    Turned out to be everything I hoped for.

Sorry didn't catch up with you Mr p - bit late getting there (9.45 start) although did help me get the right layers and shorts decision on what turned out to be cracking day.

Big thanks to organisers and the tremendous course so easy to follow.

Met up at start line and then rode the full route with top bloke who does sportives all over Europe - unusually had identical pace up/down/on flat, and due to the quiet roads had the crack side by side all the way - something not available on our busy roads.

Taking out feedstop period we did 4.20 without busting a gut.

Definitely provisionally penning it in for next year.
  • pneumatic
    No worries, H. If you started that far behind me and did the time you claim, you would have crossed the line just after me.

Best bit for me was the descent into Dalbeattie: long sweeping curves, nice head of steam and then the lights changed just as we got to the bridge. The bloke standing there unclipped was less than cheery as we flew past him. :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations

• LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    my favourite bit was the bluebells. they were lovely. Oh and winning chocolate - that was lovely too
  • DaveMoss
    DaveMoss Posts: 236
    LittleB0b wrote:

I guess you need to know where to look. But your comment is interesting, perhaps I should do a Cyclists food guide for Dumfries seeing how we get so many cycling visitors these days.

Just off the High street you have an excellent Indian, and weatherspoons across the road for cheap pub food, or the Rat and Carrot for better pub food., The Doonhamer near the bike shop is good for plain fare. The Swan at Kingholm quay 2 miles out along the riverside cycle path is very good for bar meals through to full well cooked meal.

Or you could have come to my house near the railway station. :wink:
    Sportives and tours, 100% for charity, http://www.tearfundcycling.btck.co.uk