RockShox Reverb - I'm rather excited about this one!!!!!

yoohoo999
yoohoo999 Posts: 940
edited October 2010 in MTB general
About time Rockshox or Fox got involved in the telescopic seatpost game!

If anyone can produce a seatpost that actually works, it's probably going to be one of them.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/rockshox-reverb.html

Looks quite good too, very sleek.

And uses hydraulic action with a jazzy hydraulic remote!

Coming out in Sept in US.

Comments

• cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Still dosent come in 27.2mm flavour though :evil:
  • hoochylala
    hoochylala Posts: 987
    Hmm, see I like the idea of a adjustable seatpost, but I whenever I seem to think about seriously buying one I stumble across a bad review regarding reliability or similar. Be good to see another manufacturers efforts. With RS background, youd like to think they could get this right.

Looks like it could be another thing to find room for on my handlebars :roll: Although I do see that it states the 'Xloc remote' can be inetrated into the lever perch or used on its own.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    When they make a suspension telescoping seat post, THEN I'll get excited !!!
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Looks nice but the price $295 you can guarantee that when it comes to the UK they will cross out the $ sign and pencil in a £ sign
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Funny, I was saying just this last weekend, the fork manufacturers are the best people to get these to work! The problem is that with only one 'leg' of the 'fork' there's nothing to stop the seat from rotating and the existing solutions are subject to massive loads and wear when sliding and supporting body weight.

I think what could work is if you have the normal tube-in-tube design, but inside the second tube you have your key to stop it rotating. So the outer two tubes support the load that would normally damage the key, then the key gets on with it's job, in a lower-load environment and completely sealed from dirt etc.

I'd love to see one that works properly and that had up to an inch of bounce in it, suspension posts are a good idea on hard-tails for those trails where you need to pedal, but you can't because the rear end is skiping all over the place.
  • allthegearnoidea
    allthegearnoidea Posts: 4,077
    if they could eliminate the sideways slop it seems most the uppy downy posts suffer from then i could be a bit more interested in them, but having see So many that have a left to right freeplay on the saddle it puts me off,
    oh, that and i barely ever adjust the height of my saddle anyways! just shift the but back further !
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Until those things are actually reliable, and not too heavy, and not too expensive, and have a decent range of movement and still stiff enough, I'll be sticking with the manual version.

ST1630.jpg

Just not worth the hassle IMO.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I'll be keeping an eye out for reviews of the Reverb, especially longer term reviews.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'm guessing that a lot of you who are being highly negative about these seatposts don't have a lot of personal direct experience of them. The original Joplin, the maverick speedball got a bad press for reliability. Things have got better since. I have a Joplin 2 or 3, not sure which. It's been a damn site more reliable than either my Fox or Rockshox high end forks. I've had to give it a half hearted clean once. Yes there is a bit of play in the saddle but I've never noticed it whilst riding.

For all of you jumping up and down because Rockshox will be the ones to get it right, spend a few hours in the workshop thread and count up the number of people who have problems with their REBAs etc. leaking damping oil into the lower leg.

Most bike components aren't as reliable as we'd like. The adjustable seatpost is no different and certainly not any worse.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    stumpyjon wrote:
    highly negative

Hardly mate, just pointing out a fact that everyone I know who has owned a Joplin, KS, Gravity Dropper (including myself) has been disappointed with robustness of the product for the money.

I've never seen a part, made by different manufacturers, collectively fail so often.

Therefore, when someone like Rockshox pops up on the market with a product which has a slightly different approach, its interesting. Hopefully we will get a seatpost that minimizes the current flaws and works for more than 5 hours at a time without failing.

they are just so hit or miss at the moment., if rockshox have thrown a fair bit of r&d money at this then it might have taken the technology forward a fair bit.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lol i said on here a few months ago that a fork manufacturer should make a telescopic post and look what happened :lol: cant wait to see if fox do one
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would say RS outsell telescopic posts by at least 100 to 1 lol.

RS did make a telescopic post.

SPST-26.jpg

http://xoomgear.com/mountainbike/seatpo ... 50mmtravel)/335/
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A reliable dropper post already exists, has done for years, Gravity Droppers are rock solid reliable- the failure rate is about the same as any other quality seatpost- have a good drop, are easily serviced, mud-proof, and not even particularily heavy. They do have a very small amount of sideways play when extended, which grows as a service gets nearer but it's something that's really obvious when you waggle the post by hand but isn't so obvious when you ride, so it's not really very relevant (they do have quite a lot of play when lowered, but you won't be sitting on it then)

Ugly as **** of course. And not cheap. But still brilliant.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • chris_sw
    chris_sw Posts: 100
    Surprised Cannondale haven't used some of their Lefty fork technology to make one of these, seems like it'd be an easy transfer, although not sure on weight/diameter issues.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Forks and adjustable seatpost are quite different. Forks are all about controlled bouncing, adjustable seat posts should be rock solid and not move up and down. Maybe RS will get it right then, they seemed to have perfected the hydraulic lock with their forks.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    hmmm..

Are the existing seatposts mostly mechanically locked or hydraulically? I was under the impression they were mechanical locks. A threshold type setup on a hydraulically locked seatpost would give a useful 'nuts saver' (TM) mechanism on big hits.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if anyone is oging to get it right, you would hope a suspension manufacturer should be able to perfect one tube sliding into another.

that said, i had a maverick which i only replaced as i got a bike which it didnt fit. once i was back on a bike with a proper sized seat tube i got a jolin which is so cool i have one on the stumpy too. if they were as bad as folk make out, i certainly wouldnt own 2 of the buggers.

believe me when i say, if you havent tried one but have an opinion anyway, you really need to give one a go on your fave route and see how big an effect it will have on your ride.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I'd always skip the first generation, even if it is made by RockShox. Often enough they put them onto the markets to get the sales in order to cover the R&D costs. However they're not always R&D'd globally, so the UK mud could wear the seals out for example.

As for reliability, well there are reliable products out there. Stumpyjon, like me has the Joplin 3, and we're both very impressed with the durability and reliability of the Crank Bros. product.
    However, it's predecessor the "Speedball" had it's fair share of bugs, which is why it's sometimes always best not to be an early adapter to a brand new product line, even if it is from a reputable manufacturer.

Also you get what you pay for, so if the RockShox product carries a premium, remember that not all hydro seatposts are created equally, like the i9 which is considerably cheaper that the Joplin or Specialized Command Post but also a bit of a hit & miss affair as to whether you get a reliable unit or not

Most critics are those who've never owned one of these products, or those "who've heard/who've read/has a friend who owns one" etc..
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Also you get what you pay for, so if the RockShox product carries a premium, remember that not all hydro seatposts are created equally, like the i9 which is considerably cheaper that the Joplin or Specialized Command Post but also a bit of a hit & miss affair as to whether you get a reliable unit or not

To be fair they do seem to have upped their game now, the i900 was awful when it was launched, a mate of mine had an early one, it was completely rebuilt then replaced, then the replacement was completely rebuilt then replaced again! But the 5th attempt is a totally different kettle of fish and has been really good.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Surely the answer is something like a lefty, needle bearings to prevent the rotation, okay it'd have a short service interval because the bearings would need to be reset every 25 hours or so, but that's easy.
  • I started with a joplin. It rated 5/10. Progressed to the command post, it scores 7. I like the look of and will upgrade to the Reverb. If the Fox post (anticipated for 2012) is a significate improvement I'll get one of them. I'm not super rich, but I lurve my bike. In my opinion, an adjustable seatpost is an absolutely indispensible bike component. If you don't need one or can't afford one or are concerned about reliabilty issues don't get one! (FFS) If you get one, enjoy! 8)
    rob