Getting bikes back from Cologne to Paris

Baybash
Baybash Posts: 136
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
Myself and my two brothers are cycling to Cologne on July. We intend to come back to the UK via Paris on the Eurostar. We've booked the bikes on Eurostar but does anyone have experience of how strict Thalys are about needing to cover your bikes on their trains and whether you can book a space in a guard van.
exercise.png

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    You could try the deutscheBahn website or the Thalys website. The older high-speed trains don't have spaces for bikes. Newer trains (and refurbished trains like Eurostar). if there is no dedicated space, you have to put it into a proper bag. I think there's some wiggle room if the bag won't fit in the luggage rack but I would very much doubt you would get awat with a CTC-style bag on an undismantled bike. sorry.

If in doubt ring RailEurope.
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    Check out the website www.seat61.com which contains info on taking cycles by train.
    As far as I know, the Thalys trains are similar to TGV's and bikes have to be in a bag.
    There are some trains on this route which are operated by Deutsche Bahn and may be more bike-friendly.