Going to Kielder for the day on Sunday

Oxygen Thief
Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
edited May 2010 in Routes
Off to Kielder on Sunday. Going to try the Lonesome Pine trail out. Doesn't look too challenging form what I've seen on youtube. First day out at a trail so sure we'll have a laugh.

What you lot think of it? Any good?

CHeers

Comments

• Oxygen Thief
    Nobody been!
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    I've been there for a demo day - I''ve been around the red trails a few times (though I don't think it was the full length of it - started the decent around the gates).

It was pretty cool, so have fun. I do hope that you have a FS bike though! ::P
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cheers, well it was cheers until you said about the FS!!! HT for me. It'll be fine. It doesn't look to challenging on youtube. Reviews I've read say it's quite boring so was just wondering what people here though.

Cheers
  • Valy
    Cheers, well it was cheers until you said about the FS!!! HT for me. It'll be fine. It doesn't look to challenging on youtube. Reviews I've read say it's quite boring so was just wondering what people here though.

Cheers

Well - I dono, it;s the only "mountain bike place" I've been to, though if we are both talking about the same thing here, it should be cool. :D
  • Oxygen Thief
    The bike hire place hires out HTs so they should cope. Will report back tomorrow :)
  • Valy
    HAve massive fun! :D
  • I did it last year - and enjoyed it! Lots of climbing tho!
  • Oxygen Thief
    Ah really?!?! Map has smiley faces for down sections and sad ones for climbs, and there's not many sad ones! Misleading! I don't mind climbing though to be honest.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Well, we gave it a go. Opted for th red route Lonesome Pine Trail. Prob not the best idea seeing as it was out first crack at a trail and we aren't very fit. It was basically up hill all the way! Not too enjoyable, did manage to ride the majority though. The downhill was great fun though. Had a little off too, first one. Stupidly eating a snickereds with right hand trying to turn right hand bend wheel got hit and turned all the way into the right and I flew off landing on my arm. Toe is purple but arm is just bruised and scratched. Couldn't put pressure on the toe for rest of ride so couldn't ride as fast or somfortably as I liked but was still goof fun for first trail outing. Same again in a few weeks with higher level of fitness and higher level of confidence :) With one of those muvi cams aswell so you can all laugh at how slow I am and how crap my techniquw is :)
  • Sounds like a successful day :wink:
  • Oxygen Thief
    Aye wasn't bad mate. Pics below if anyone fancies a deeks...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9 ... aid=265002
  • w86h2000
    w86h2000 Posts: 18
    Good pics there. I did that route back In February on my own but most of it was covered in snow which made it interesting. There's some really good sections to it though but as someone said here, there's a lot of uphill in it. Well worth the trip up though, I must do it again soon.
    Orange G3 2011
    Boardman Hybrid Team 2009
  • Told ya there was lots of climbing! :wink:
  • Oxygen Thief
    Cheers. To be honest I wish I did it on my own as I wouldn't have had to stop and wait near as much. One lad spent more time off his bike than on it on the climbs. We're going again in a couple of weeks, I'm not stopping unless I have to this time though.

You guys go up the stairway to heaven bit?