cardiff bike shops - service needed

Gilesw2010
Gilesw2010 Posts: 121
edited May 2010 in MTB general
hi all - I need to book my commencal in for a much needed service and cable change.

Can anyone reccommend a decent bike shop in the Cardiff area for servicing? I'd like to take it to a reputable place confident that they will do a decent job.

cheers for your help.

Comments

• Tredz. Sunset MTB..

Theres loads in Cardiff and I don't even live there!

one in Cathays somewhere behind the uni I think.
  • Gilesw2010
    yep - there are absolutely loads in Cardiff - I get the feeling that some are better than others though. I just wondered if anyone coukd recommend one in particular theyve used and know is reliable.

cheers
  • Well the guys in tredz are pretty knowledgeable (got offered a job in there :D) but not sure on their prices.

Sunset i've bought a frame from and they've been superb with customer service etc etc.
    Never went in though because it was bleedin shut!

tbh i'd use either.
  • tomashford
    tomashford Posts: 27
    I would recommend Cyclopaedia on 116 Crwys Rd.
  • Gilesw2010
    cheers - both cyclopaedia and sunset are just around the corner so I'll give either of them a try.

thanks again
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Had a poor experience (rude staff) in Sunset once, so I'd use Cyclopaedia.
  • pauljoes
    pauljoes Posts: 186
    E.C (extreme culture) in Pontypridd I know it isnt Cardiff but it isnt far. Good local shop with the owner being the mechanic there, started taking my bike there because of all the cardiff shops being a bit £££££ aint looking back!
    TREK REMEDY 9
    ORANGE CRUSH
    DOLAN TUONO
    PLANET X PRO CARBON
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i use tredz and both mike (the manager) and fitty (the mechanic) are both top guys. would reccomend them to anyone :D
  • Gilesw2010
    cheers for the replies - i went to the bike shed on cathedral road in the end - very good service and decent prices.
  • mottles
    mottles Posts: 203
    Gilesw2010 wrote:
    cheers for the replies - i went to the bike shed on cathedral road in the end - very good service and decent prices.

Decent prices?????? Maybe they were having an off day :roll:
    Specialized Pitch Comp - Mr Glass' Monster
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 3#16136203
  • steveaich
    steveaich Posts: 19
    Anther one to try is Castle Bikes in Caerphilly, but then I would say that as it's my shop ;)
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Stay clear of sunset and Don skene's both are rip off merchats ont he most part :s
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    WHAT?? Caerphilly has a bike shop now? Great stuff!

Not back there that often (family still live in Bedwas), I'll pop in next time I'm there.

As for Cardiff, not sure how Reg Braddicks are these days, it was my shop of choice back in the day and they are still going strong.

They are in Splott - www.regbraddickcycles.com
    Craig Rogers
  • Dgh
    Dgh Posts: 180
    Damian Harris in Whitchurch - not exclusively mtb, but good quality service and they're not always pointing you in the direction of the most expensive product.

I once went to Sunset, after work but in a suit, they seemed to assume that I had more money than sense.
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Always had brilliant service from Sunset.

Bought a new rear mech the other day Enzo (tall fella that works there) took it from me, made sure the price was inline with CRC and sent me on my way.

All the products they've ever recommend me have been great. To be honest I don't get pushed into buying overly bling stuff for the sake of it, but got 'talked' into buying Shimano DX pedals once. £50!!! for pedals, but they were right, they're great. Was going through V8/V12's and Welgo copies at the rate of a pair every 2-3 months, DX's still kicking ass and taking names after 2 years.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    2nd from last time i was in sunset i was trying to blow 2k on a bike. They couldn't even be bothered to get a bike down from the stand for me, let alone give me advice.

Last time i was there with a mate shopping for shorts and clobber. one of the guys was on the phone and his conversation very loudly went ( are yeh i know that C@~t what F@#king) and so on, Wouldn't bother me but as a shop i think this is a terrible image to portray to your customers.

They have a third hit till there out completely, and i will be looking to have all the bearings replaced on me rear sus :s could be worth a bit