Trans Pyrenees in July

jotasu
jotasu Posts: 5
edited October 2011 in Routes
Dear friends, I am writing to you to explain the project that I have for July 2010. My name is Joxu Arana, I live in the Basque Country and I am 40 years old. I like doing sports like running , mountain running, ski mountaineering, road bike and BTT.
Now, I am preapring a route around the Pyrenees; there is a famous BTT route between Cabo de Creus (on the coast of the Meditarranean Sea) and Hondarribi (on the Athlantic Sea) crossing the Pyrenees. It's a bit technical and a very beatiful route, it has 1000 kilometres and 18.000 metres ascent. The people who are in a quite good shape can do the route in 12 bike-days, 80 km. and 1800 m. ascent per day. I know many parts of the route because I have been riding and walking over there.
I want to make a route of 6 people maximum. I would be in charge of booking the places to sleep (hostals, bungalows,...) and also I would be in charge of guiding the group throug the route. The trip will be from the 8th till the 20th of July.
The reason why I want to do it with foreign people is because I want to do the route and in the meantime practise English.
I look forward to hearing from you,
Jo&Su :wink:

Comments

• hasi
    hasi Posts: 2
    :D Hi Joxu, what a great idea¡¡ I am a 40 years old guy from Italy, I will be in holidays in July and I am really interested in the project. I love riding in the mountains, but I am not sure whether I am fit enought to complete the whole route in 12 days, I usually ride routes of about 50 km and 1.200 meters of difference in height, so... Please could you explain how a route could be in order to take a decision?.
    Thanks, we´ll be in contact.
  • jotasu
    Hi Hasi, I am happy to have another biker to make the transpyrenees route by BTT. I think that you are in a good shape for finishing it in 12 bike days. If you usually ride 2 or 3 times per week and you can make 50 km. and 1.200 m. ascent "without stopping", you will not have any problem for finishing it. You have to think that we have the whole day to make each bike day.
    There are other groups of people who are going to make the route in less days (8 days)
    http://www.transpyr.com/indexEn.asp#
    Now, the only thing we need is to get 4 or 5 people more in order to take advantage of the van, bungalows, etc.
    If you want I can hang more information like photoes or whatever about the route.
    I look forward to hearing from you,
    Jo&su
  • jotasu
    My intention is to share all the spenses. The dinner, breakfast and to sleep will be around 60€/per day/per person. We need a van to go from Bilbao to Cabo de Creus, the cost of the van, oil and the highway tickets will be about 250€. We will share this among the people participaiting in the route.
    The plan is to meet everybody in Bilbao on the 7th July in order to leave the things that aren`t going to be used (I will keep them safe) , put everithing in the van and leave all the things ready for departuring the next day, 8th of July.
    Is there anyone else who wants to join us?
    jo&su
  • hasi
    hasi Posts: 2
    Hi Joxu, I am still interested in the route, I think that it is a good price for this beatiful route around mountains. I have been also visiting different web pages about people who already did this route and I think I could complete the whole route (maybe I will have to force my preparation next weeks but...).
    Ok, we will be in contact.
    Hasi.
  • Hi Joxu and Hasi,
    My name is Paul I am a 40 year old English teacher living in Girona capital, Cataluña.
    I am planning to ride to san sebastian (where I lived for 5 years) this summer,
    Do you have a full group of 6 yet?
    Maybe I could meet you at Cap de Creus to start the trip?
    this depends on how much money i get back form the declaracion de renta, if i dont get much i will be going to san sebastian alone and vivac-ing most of the nights jajaja!

how are you going to navigate? (maps, gps or guide books?)
    are you thinking of going on the spanish side or french side of the mountains?

I m very interested!

paul.
  • jotasu
    Hi, I´m sorry because of not writing you before but I´ve been very busy.
    It´s a month left for the departing day and I don´t know how many people want to join us, but it´s convenient to know the amount of people before the 18th June.
    Join us it is going to be exciting!
    All the best.
    Jo&su.
  • Hi I wish Id seen this post last year! Are you thinking of doing it again? I would be interested in the details. Thinking of riding the Cami dels Bonshomes but this sounds better! Any chance of a copy of the route: ideally gpx?!
  • Toffel
    Toffel Posts: 10
    Hello,
    did this trip some months ago...
    All I can say is: MAGNIFICENT 1000!!!

The movie:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hANTwtP7CAE

On the right sites all interesting information can be found (gpx, hotels, ...)

Best regards,
    Toffel