Slicks for mtb

tvi_82
tvi_82 Posts: 32
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey guys, i have a few questions and looking for some help. I got my mountain bike last year and have hardly used it on the trails and fancy doing a bit of exploring of the local villages on the bike (all road)

So rather than forkout for a roadbike (i`m skint the now :oops: ) its cheaper to get a set of slicks for the bike and just change between tyres/purpose.

So... question time.

I seen these tyres and was gonna go to decathlon tomorrow and get a set http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/xcr-road-ts-17866909/ are they any good?

Also, would i still use standard 26" innertube?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• tvi_82
    tvi_82 Posts: 32
    Shark-farts, just checked the store and there out of stock :cry: Any other (cheap) recommendations?
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    Just stuck a pair of Schwalbe Marathons on my MTB and they're fast as fook!

£30 from eBay. :wink:
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Michelin Fast Track - check CRC as usually cheap on there. I got mine for a tenner each. They are very smooth and quiet - good vfm.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • bbug
    bbug Posts: 83
    I got a pair of these from a car boot sale:-

http://www.nextdaytyres.com/tyres/Schwa ... y-Jet.aspx

They've gone on to my hack bike to go around the block on. (23 miles) They are a revelation on the road after mtb tyres. I've pumped them up real hard and there's hardly any tyre touching the road, maybe a tad more than half an inch.
  • nbr_uk
    nbr_uk Posts: 32
    I got a pair or Conti Town & Country (semi slicks) for road use and they're pretty good.
  • kev2b3
    kev2b3 Posts: 159
    Hi there i have tried many types of slicks on my mountain bike and i find these two without a doubt the best two .Continental Travel Contact MTB Tyre which comes with free inner tubes and Continental Ultra Gatorskin MTB Tyre, the gatorskins are just like the ones that are used on racing bikes skinny and slick. They are very very fast but can be very hard to put on the wheel. They can also look pretty strange on a mountain bike .
  • DaveHudson
    DaveHudson Posts: 290
    I'm running Michelin City pilot proteks on my bike, Awesome "p" protection but heavy and hard to fit, My colleague is running Schwalbe city jets, Light and fast but zero protection and another mate is using Schwalbe marathon plus which are very good too.

Pays your money, Takes your choice.
  • Speialized all condiotion pros.....
    Best slick i ever used, commuted for years in east London on them no probs what so ever.... Check the Bay for deals

Ive also used Continetal sports contact and had puncture after puncture!!!
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    schwable cityjets
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!