Evans 30 day trial / moral question

AyrshireBacon
AyrshireBacon Posts: 173
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
A few people from work are doing the Norwich 50 mile ride on June 6th on behalf of British Heart Foundation. We are all different standards of cyclists and ride a mixture of slicked MTB and hybrids. Shameless plug for sponsorship here :D

One of the team is thinking of ordering a mid-spec road bike bike from Evans on their 30 day trial scheme, riding it on their commute for a couple of weeks, doing the 50 and then sending it back.

On a scale of 1 - 10, just how dishonest is this?
time flies like an arrow
fruit flies like a banana

Comments

• iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    What are the odds they can return it as new?
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    What are the terms of this deal?
  • AyrshireBacon
    iPete wrote:
    What are the odds they can return it as new?
    Evans are expecting it to be returned used. Will only have done 100 - 150 miles. He only commutes 20 miles a day twice a week.

Details of scheme here here
    BTW I rate this at about a 7. Seriously considering phoning Evans and getting him barred :twisted:
    time flies like an arrow
  • will3
    "by fair condition we mean the bike should only have a minimal level of wear and tear you would expect from a 30 day old bike, and no broken bits."

how are they going to judge what I would expect from 30 days use?

Do you think they'd smell a rat if I did this 12 times a year?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    that is like buying a suit - wearing it for a wedding and returning it.

one of those - you've got to be fucking kidding being such a cnut to do that.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • AyrshireBacon
    will3 wrote:
    Do you think they'd smell a rat if I did this 12 times a year?
    Limit of one refund / exchange per customer.
    Yes. :)

Do you think they'd smell a rat if 5 or 6 "customers" in Norfolk all took a 30 day trial of the same model bike on the same weekend? We would look great with matching bikes. :D
    time flies like an arrow
  • will3
    Of course you run the risk of not wanting to return it.....
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Yeah, pretty cheeky - although would appear to align with the letter of their scheme - if not to the intent of the scheme.

If he does the commute he's suggested, plus that ride, it will be in fair condition - the brake block will have worn down slightly, the tyres will be starting to lose their shine, and the cables will probably have started to stretch a bit. Everything else should be pretty much there.

What would score a 10?

Doing as your mate suggests then buying the bike back off them as pre-owned!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    that is like buying a suit - wearing it for a wedding and returning it.

one of those - you've got to be ******* kidding being such a cnut to do that.

Not sure about the suit analogy. Most shops won't accept a return if clothing has obviously been worn.

They expect the bike to be used for 30 days. The terms for return are quite strict though. Internet only, original packaging, clean (yikes!). They must be pretty confident they'll not get many bikes back or they wouldn't be doing it. I wonder what they'd do with all the almost-new frames and components. Staff freebies?
  • AyrshireBacon
    TommyEss wrote:
    What would score a 10?

Doing as your mate suggests then buying the bike back off them as pre-owned!!
    Yes, that sounds like a 10, or at least a 9.5.

Don't know what Evans are going to do with all the 30 day old bikes. Maybe hoping that they don't get many back.
    time flies like an arrow
  • TommyEss
    Wiggle do the same - Evans are doing this for one month only... It's all marketing at the end of the day.

Would only really be useful if you rode it and realised "Yikes, I really can't manage this on a double, I should have got the compact" or "Wow - this front end is far too low, I should have got the sportive version"

Or maybe "Shoot, I've got no kit to match this eye-watering green, I'm going to get the red one!"
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • will3
    Actually 100-150 miles is not much for 30 days use is it? I mean that's less than 5 miles a day.
  • don_don
    don_don Posts: 1,007
    Its not dishonest at all and Evans are probably clued up to the fact that people will do it, realise they really like the bike, and keep it!
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    It's Evans FFS. F*ck Evans.

Go for it I say.
  • TommyEss
    It's Evans FFS. F*ck Evans.

Go for it I say.

Well, I was going to be more polite - if it was an LBS then it's different, but since it's Evans...

+1(million)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    At my most CHAV

But I would do so on the understanding that I was being a CHAV.

Could I live with that....

The answer is yes. However, I would prepare myself for not being able to return the bike.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    I have a mate who's always getting free trials and taking up those kind of marketing offers. Anything to cut a corner and somehow beat the marketing. but when you add up all the administration and sometimes chasing involved in getting money back or returning items it really isn't worth it. Then, if a firm plays hard ball it really doesn't pay.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,358
    What happens if he crashes it, damages it or has it stolen.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    What happens if he crashes it, damages it or has it stolen.
    Bikes must be returned clean, in a fair condition and in their original specification (i.e. no modifications etc). Evans Cycles reserves the right to withdraw 30 Day Test Ride offer if the bike is not returned in the required condition.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • dancook
    dancook Posts: 279
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    At my most CHAV

But I would do so on the understanding that I was being a CHAV.

Chav's aren't that clever :)