Cycling superhighways

2»

Comments

• kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    gaz545 wrote:

A few weeks ago i was contacted by someone in TFL who shall remain nameless. They asked if they could have a little chat with me, to gain some basic background into who i am, what i do and why i cycle. Small talk out of the way, i was invited to ride a short section of the cycle superhighway with Nigel Hardy, the project manager for the cycle superhighway.

Very interesting Gaz,

Did you get a chance to ask about the junction junction at Rookery Road on Clapham Common? They widened northbound section so that they can fit in two lanes and a cycle lane. The left lane is only just wide enough for a car and cyclists are encouraged to be on the extreme left on one of the most left hook inducing junctions on CS7. Do you have any footage handy? I took to taking the cycle path as my signal to move into the car lane. Not a good design IMO.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    unfortunatly i forgot about that. I've been left hooked a few times at that junction. Although I have avoided a collision on every occasion. I've noticed it being bad even with the blue cycle lane there.
    It was also going to be an issue, and i can't see there being a practical solution to solving it.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I'd say you need to make the corner less open so cars have to slow down more. You can take it at 30 quite easily which is just not on. Encouraging bikes to be in the far left just makes it worse. In the 2 weeks I rode that before going off on hols my wheel didn't touch the blue paint once (I was always in primary in the left 'car' lane).