Disappearing cycle lanes?? lower thames street

flamite
flamite Posts: 269
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Anyone else notice on Lower Thames street going east, they have painted balck over the white paint in some of the cycle lanes between southward bridge and tower bridge?

Was going to have a go at a lorry this morning as he was in the old cycle lane...

and what are those new traffic lights there all about? 2 traffic light ped crossings within 100m of eachother?!?!
something to do with the new nomura building i guess.

Comments

• Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    flamite wrote:
    Anyone else notice on Lower Thames street going east, they have painted balck over the white paint in some of the cycle lanes between southward bridge and tower bridge?

Was going to have a go at a lorry this morning as he was in the old cycle lane...

and what are those new traffic lights there all about? 2 traffic light ped crossings within 100m of eachother?!?!
    something to do with the new nomura building i guess.

Lower Thames St is better than it was with the re-surfacing but still pretty nasty once you get back onto the impact area...

Remember there was a guy killed there just after the Southwark bridge junction going east - just got hoovered up by a lorry. They've made the ironwork flush with the road surface since - the big manhole cover opposite the garage was a likely cause of that.

Those new lights slay me.

The lights at the bottom of Tower hill ALWAYS get me and bascially those new lights just wait for me - they stay red forever as well.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    I'm not sorry to see those cycle lanes go. They just legitimise passing too close and too fast.

"I'm on my side of the line and he's on his", thinks the motorist. I can't help wonder if this was a factor in that poor guy getting squashed.

The section from Southwark Bridge to London Bridge is especially horrible. I avoid it these days as my wreckless days are 'mostly' behind me.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not a pleasant bit of road. Eastbound, it's quick; westbound, it's in an appalling state - there's more iron than road, and, the surface is so rutted and uneven, you struggle to see the iron if it's been caning it down.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    I hate this road.

Coming down there from Tower Hill I just cover the brakes, take my bum off the seat and hope I don't bounce right off the road and under the wheels of a bus.

The added fun of a cycle lane that varies from 2 yards to about 2 feet wide and then disappears, plus taxis pulling over randomly and sharing the cycle lane and ASL with wannabe cabbies doing the Knowledge on scooters and motorbike couriers makes it the least favourite stretch of my commute.

When it flooded to almost cover the entire kerbside lane a few months ago was the best though.
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!