Shedding Weight

dancook
dancook Posts: 279
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
I was wondering if anyone has bought two locks one for home and work, just to shed the weight of cycling with it?

Would it really make much difference?

I have a "Abus Granit X Plus 54 23cm Bike D Lock" it's pretty heavy.

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I leave two locks at work permanently, and have an integrated garage at home (with more dead bolts than you can shake a stick at).

I would never carry locks to/from work as it really is a waste of effort.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • dancook
    At a quick glance, I'd have thought it might be a waste of effort, which is why the question first came to mind.

But when I did the math, amazon claims my lock is 1.7kg in weight, I'm about 84kg and there's the weight of the bicycle,

It started to seem insignificant.
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    I leave my big lock at uni and just carry a light chain with me.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Probably wouldn't make a huge difference to your commute time, though the extra effort would be noticeable, especially if you're feeling tired. If you do the SCR thing like a lot of people here do, you'd probably want to shed as much weight as you can.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    One permanently at work, one permanently in the home storage, one portable for when I may stop somewhere else.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dancook
    edited May 2010
    cheers all.

Maybe I'll get a cheap lock for work then, it's a safe area. Keep my daddy of a lock at home.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    i have my D-Lock at work but always carry the cable lock with me everywhere for dropping into shops.

personally, i don't mind carrying the heavy D-lock everywhere too as i see it as a way to training so i can ride faster when i no longer carry it. :)

whatever you do, don't leave the D-lock on the bike rank overnight (specially outside), as thefts could practise unlocking it overnight and make it easier for them to steal your bike the next time you lock your bike there with it.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    D-lock and cable at work, flimsy popping to the shops cable lock for when I'm home. I should do it the other way around as my bike park at work is very secure.
  • dancook
    soy_sauce wrote:
    whatever you do, don't leave the D-lock on the bike rank overnight (specially outside), as thefts could practise unlocking it overnight and make it easier for them to steal your bike the next time you lock your bike there with it.

There's only two places my bike gets locked up, one's a secure underground parking area and the other is in the middle of the countryside, which also has a secure gate. Fortunately neither are likely to be stolen from.
  • DevUK
    DevUK Posts: 299
    soy_sauce wrote:

I would of thought with a D-lock they only way to really get it off a bike is destructive? Ie, the car jack trick or an angle grinder? Hopefully you'd notice if someone had destroyed your lock overnight :)
    FCN Daily commute = 11
    FCN Fixie commute = 5
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    How did you get the locks to work in the first place then?
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • kelsen
    pst88 wrote:

Chapeau! :lol:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    pst88 wrote:

I got mine delivered to work from wiggle :)
  • kelsen
    amnezia wrote:
    pst88 wrote:

I got mine delivered to work from wiggle :)

Chapeau! :lol:
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    I leave a NY lock and Abus Granite at work, plus have 2 more at home of the same in case. Though our bike parking is indoors and secure, so probably don't need 2 locks!
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    DevUK wrote:
    soy_sauce wrote:

I would have thought with a D-lock they only way to really get it off a bike is destructive? Ie, the car jack trick or an angle grinder? Hopefully you'd notice if someone had destroyed your lock overnight :)

http://www.lockpickingguide.net/lock-pick/d-lock-pick-with-biro-pen-end-mike-hudson

what was your point again? :wink:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    One at home, and one at each of my two offices that I commute to.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I carry mine in on monday, and then take it home again friday.

Makes a very big difference IMHO.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Zombie_donkey
    Zombie_donkey Posts: 359
    No one locks there bikes where I work. Mine sits under my office window.
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,