Bike pump

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited May 2010 in The workshop
Got a topeak mini pump.

Couldn't get a tyre inflated after a puncture the other day. On further examination, once inflated past a certain point, the tyre is pushing air back out the pump. Seems to be escaping between the shaft and the entrance into the main body. Pulled it to bits and cleaned, but no joy. Maybe the rubber washer ring needs replacing. If I can't get a replacement (unlikely I feel), any ideas for a bodge? Bathroom sealant?

PBo

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Not sure what you mean by this - surely the shaft of the pump is the main body?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    DesWeller wrote:
    Not sure what you mean by this - surely the shaft of the pump is the main body?

maybe dodgy nomenclature?

by shaft I mean long thin bit with handle on the end, that moves in and out of fat cylindrical main body of pump.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ah!

Then the o-ring that is fitted to the end of the shaft is leaking, either because the inside of the tube is scored or because the o-ring is damaged.

You can order o-rings from Simply Bearings. You'll need to know what size it is.

EDIT: Don't be tempted to bodge it with silicone sealant; the seal works by deflecting on the upstroke to allow air to pass, and being pushed by friction against the shaft onto the retaining plate to seal the bore, so it wouldn't be very easy to make your own!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}