Rider down, Chiswick High Road

el_presidente
el_presidente Posts: 1,963
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Just had my wife on the phone, she was first on the scene for a cyclist hit by a motorbike tonight about 7pm. Cyclist had a head injury with a lot of blood (no helmet) and what my wife thought was a broken leg, he was talking and mobile though (albeit not very coherently - trying to get up & walk home). Motorcyclist was OK although very shaken.

Very proud of my wife as she called 999 and was on the phone to the paramedics for 5 minutes until the ambulance arrived, taking instructions and looking after the casualty. A couple of other bystanders helped her out too but apparently some people were screaming. The whole thing sounds horrific - BE CAREFUL OUT THERE PEOPLE.
<a>road</a>

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    That's a good'un. Not everyone can be calm and level-headed in such a situation.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    saw a cyclist down this morning in Reading. Ambulance on scene withh the rider unconscious, no idea what went down.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Well done her. People like that can make all the difference.

Hope the rider turns out OK... Was it a moped or a big-ass bike? Speed some people go on motorbikes down CHR, I'm not overly surprised.
  • el_presidente
    Well done her. People like that can make all the difference.

Hope the rider turns out OK... Was it a moped or a big-ass bike? Speed some people go on motorbikes down CHR, I'm not overly surprised.

I assume it was a big motorbike although my wife is not th most up to speed on that sort of thing.

My wife didn't see the actual crash, only the aftermath, but a witness told her the cyclist had run a red then froze in the middle of the junction when he realised he'd stuffed it up. No idea if that is true as it's a 3rd hand account, but the cycling I see everyday it wouldn't surprise me.
    <a>road</a>
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Which junction was it at?

CHR does seem do have some properly daft displays of cycling/driving/riding!

I hope everyone involved is ok - and, if the stories are true of the cyclist running the red, I hope the police take action against him. No-one deserves to get hurt, but you make your choice to jump a red light and you've gotta live with the consequences.
  • el_presidente
    Junction with Chiswick Lane i think
    <a>road</a>
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    You do see a lot of people going across that on red heading towards Chiswick - especially if the left filter arrow light is green. Seen a few near misses with bikes - and a couple of hits with cars.

Again, I hope everyone is not too badly hurt.