Hit...with a wee twist!

londonbairn
londonbairn Posts: 316
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Just got back after being knocked down (was minor really)

Cycling down Southampton Road on the left lane towards Bloomsbury Place. Car turns into my lane. I know it's going to hit me. Somehow (not sure how) I managed to turn the front away whilst slowing down so I brushed off the car, hit his mirror and went down on my side. First thought "MY BIKE!"

Got up and felt okayish. They stopped obviously. What happened probably put my faith in humanity back in place. The driver was so sorry and extremely nice about it I was shocked. End of the day it was minor as I am okay and the bike seems fine (rode it home, checked it over and no problems as I took the fall on my side). His wife started shouting at me but he calmed her down and admitted 100% his fault. He sat with me until I got out of shock, offered help etc. My parting line was "please watch out for cyclists, that could have been worse if I hit you at speed"

I know we all come on baying for blood in these situations, but I felt, perversley, quite good about it on my cycle home.

Assuming I am ok and the bike is ok, I will actually call him to tell him I am okay and thanks for being so sorry!

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    nice to see people seeing the clear picture and accepting blame

keep an eye on things and go get checked out should you go get checked out
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Fair play to the bloke. Glad you're ok.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    cjcp wrote:
    Fair play to the bloke. Glad you're ok.

+1
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Sounds almost identical to my off a couple of weeks ago. I was initially absolutely livid, but when he got out and looked so pathetic. He really did look more shaken up than me. I soon calmed down after that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    We all make mistakes (the person who says they have never made a mistake is either a lier or never done anything ever!), some have worse repercussions than others, you're Ok thank goodness, and you can be sure the motorist will be a LOT more careful in the future, every cloud has a silver lining!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Thanks, I took the tube today (disgusting..) to recover, mostly shock, though got bruising on my leg which renders the cycling motion a bit sore. Should be fine tomorrow/Sunday.

Only damage to the bike was a small tear on the bar tape. Not one scratch anywhere else. Kind of glad I sacrificed my body for my bike 8)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    His wife started shouting at you? Why?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.