Normal bike into London on Brighton line......

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Any ideas for getting a normal bike in to London from Haywards Heath on Monday morning. I have a meeting on Horseferry Road at 10:30 and Nat Rail says no bikes on trains getting in to London before 10. There is one which gets in to London Bridge at 10:00 on the dot which is probably just about ok. Is trying that likely to result in bike and owner being thrown forceably off the train as it passes over Balcombe viaduct?!
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    I guess your looking for an alternative answer to 'cycle it there' :P

I used to do that train journey every day, can get very packed, particularly Monday morning. If you're going to get kicked off it'll probably be at East Croydon when a ton of people pile on.
  • rolf_f
    TBH, East Croydon is probably where I'd want to get off. Might go for an earlier train - presume half 7 would be a bit quieter at least til Croydon?
  • If you are going to Horseferry Road, why are you getting a train to London Bridge and not Victoria? Is it the timing? Could you change at East Croydon to catch a train to Victoria just on 10am? Is there no direct train Brighton->Victoria getting in just after 10am?

Sorry for all the questions :oops:
  • rolf_f
    If you are going to Horseferry Road, why are you getting a train to London Bridge and not Victoria? Is it the timing? Could you change at East Croydon to catch a train to Victoria just on 10am? Is there no direct train Brighton->Victoria getting in just after 10am?

Sorry for all the questions :oops:

The trains from Haywards Heath come in around 10:00 and 10:16 which is too late. Trouble is, Defra won't provide secure parking so I'll have to go to Millbank and that will all add time.

I'm actually now hoping I can leave the bike at my parents and then I'll have one there for when I visit. Would be a lot easier and would save the monday morning hassle.

Amnezia - yeah, cycle all the way did occur to me but the Raleigh is a bit harshly geared for that time in the morning :lol:
  • Ah, I thought the 9.14am arriving at Victoria at 10.00am might be OK.
  • rolf_f
    Leaving the bike at my folks now so no need to worry about it! I didn't use the bike at home but now I'll have one available in Haywards when I need it (thus avoiding a wasted mile-less weekend :lol: )