amnezia
amnezia Posts: 590
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
Its hay fever season again :x

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Again? There was a lull? :shock:

Mine started in early March, ramped up in April and is now controlled by more drugs. Hoping to ditch the tablets and use the nasal spray solely later in the year :cry:
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Cafewanda wrote:

Mine started in early March, ramped up in April and is now controlled by more drugs. Hoping to ditch the tablets and use the nasal spray solely later in the year :cry:

I have Piriteze one per day stuff - seems ok so far (providing i remember to take it).
  • Cafewanda
    Oh to be so lightly afflicted :cry:
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    Cafewanda wrote:

Pollution makes hayfever worse :cry:

And we have not had any rain for a couple of weeks. This makes it worse.

I am also starting to think that the rapid growth of rape seed fields is making hayfever worse as this is a crop that is grown more now
  • Cafewanda
    So Coopster, you trying to tell me that moving out of London wouldn't improve things for me? :) Oh well at least the drug companies are happy :roll:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Cafewanda wrote:
    So Coopster, you trying to tell me that moving out of London wouldn't improve things for me? :) Oh well at least the drug companies are happy :roll:

So that road i cycled down last night (look at the anti-rant thread) would not be a good thing for you then?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    It would be if I went down/up it after dosing up and wore shades.

My hayfever/asthma kicks in when I'm running or cycling and as I'm not about to stop either activities I'll continue to take the meds, stockpile tissues and wear shades/protective glasses.

Oh and stop showing off about your routes. We have nice routes in London........................ somewhere :roll: :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689

No it doesn't. Well some people it doesn't some people it does.

I went outside London and was in physical pain. It was all I could do to resist the urge not to turn the engine on and stand by the exhaust breathing in the fumes. Also air-con and sharp tempreture changes get me.

Truth of it is people are affected at different times during the year dependant to what pollen comes in bloom.

Things for me got bad in April, I dropped my guard as I usually start drugging myself in February. Currently I'm on two Galphram tablets (cetirizine). I suck one tablet so it soothes the hayfever in my mouth and I swallow another.

In the hieght of my season (June - October) I can be on three tablets and the syrup form of the tablets in a single day. Two years back things got so bad I couldn't wear contact lenses anymore as I needed the eyedrops, but nothing and I mean nothing stops my hayfever like wearing a pair of contact lenses (I don't make the rules I just find workable solutions).

The whole thing pisses me off though, why are so many people suffering from hayfever. 50yrs ago did hayfever even exist - the government has poisoned us. Lastly, when in hotter climates, I don't get hayfever.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Cafewanda wrote:

My hayfever/asthma kicks in when I'm running or cycling and as I'm not about to stop either activities I'll continue to take the meds, stockpile tissues and wear shades/protective glasses.

Oh and stop showing off about your routes. We have nice routes in London........................ somewhere :roll: :wink:

Let me think..... No. :P
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Cafewanda
    edited May 2010
    Cafewanda wrote:

Let me think..... No. :P

There are certain topics you need to stay away from Mr. Describing lovely cycling country scenes is top of the list :P :P

@ DDD - I think my body is finely tuned and clean air (ie anything outside of London) affects me greatly, unless I'm in Jamaica where chugging Red Stripe on a daily basis is very effective as antihistamine treatment :lol:
  • Obie
    Obie Posts: 51
    I am glad someone brought this up! I was about to Scream at all things flowery in the "Rant thread". My hayfever has gotten worse year on year for the last 5 years! After taking Lortadine since late febuary I discovered last week that I am allergic to that as well!! ( the passing out two weeks ago should have given me a clue). It just seems like a loosing battle, Take drugs to stop the itching/runny nose/sneezing but get a cough/dizzy/dog tired instead. The wife is not in the least sympathetic (being a non sufferer) and tells me I am being melodramatic!

Has anyone got any tips to ease the pain? I have tried a mask when riding but then I can't breath! I wear glasses which does help the itchy eyes! As for drugs, I suppose I should bite the bullet and see a doctor.

An entirely miserable commuter.

Obie :cry:
    FCN 8.
  • nobunaga
    nobunaga Posts: 23
    I am not sneezing and nor is my nose runny but my eyes have been real itchy for the past couple of days. Could it be hay fever?
  • Cafewanda
    Obie, see a doctor and get as much drugs as you can on one prescription :lol: Oh and maybe check to see if you've got asthma also?

Whilst mine hasn't gotten worse year on year, I've only realised (GP confirmed) that I suffer from rhinitis so I have it year-round, but it's worse during the spring/summer months.
  • Cafewanda
    nobunaga wrote:
    I am not sneezing and nor is my nose runny but my eyes have been real itchy for the past couple of days. Could it be hay fever?

(not a doctor) I reckon. Hit Boots and have a chat with the Pharmacist.(not a doctor)
  • Obie
    Cheers Cafewanda! I suppose deep down I knew a doc visit was in order. Strangely enough I have been wondering if I suffer from asthma as well! I will not be defeated!!!
    FCN 8.
  • nobunaga
    nobunaga Posts: 23
    Thanks Cafewanda. Will wander down to Boots at lunch time to have a chat with a pharmacist. My eyes have swollen up to the size of tennis balls from the over-rubbing.
  • Obie
    nobunaga, I fully sympathise with the itchy bulbous eyes........wait until you hit the next stage, with the eternal runny nose that becomes so sore It looks like someone has held a red hot poker to your upper lip!! That and a dry itchy throat and you are officially in the realms of hayfever hell!!! :wink: [/quote]
    FCN 8.
  • DonDaddyD
    Mrs DDD came up with a dinner full of natural antimistermen (spelling - the things hayefever tablets are made from but natural).

It worked, have to give her that one.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Obie
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Mrs DDD came up with a dinner full of natural antimistermen (spelling - the things hayefever tablets are made from but natural).

Do tell......what were the ingredients......or is it a family secret? :wink:
    FCN 8.
  • Cafewanda
    Obie wrote:
    nobunaga, I fully sympathise with the itchy bulbous eyes........wait until you hit the next stage, with the eternal runny nose that becomes so sore It looks like someone has held a red hot poker to your upper lip!! That and a dry itchy throat and you are officially in the realms of hayfever hell!!! :wink:
    [/quote]

Stop that! Membership to the club will be closing shortly :lol:
  • Cafewanda
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Which beer is it?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    It's wrong to think that pollution is somehow your friend. Particulates in diesel and other fossil fuels have brought on a wave of asthma and hayfever in urban areas. Some also believe it's down to the massive increase in exposure to chemicals our bodies currently undergo compared with 50 years ago. Just about everything we eat and drink from fizzy drinks to beer and wine and pre packed foods etc are choc full of chemicals. As well as things like cleaning products - shampoo, conditioners, home cleaning products, air fresheners, women's cosmetics etc. Our bodies are constantly deluged with unnatural particulates which we breathe, eat and drink. Although these chemicals exist in small doses, the fact that just about everything we touch, eat or use it choc full of them can't be good. In the rural areas, ground level ozone pollution is a problem, however in urban areas ozone (chemical symbol O3) combines with carbon monoxide (CO) to create carbon and oxygen (O2), so ozone pollution is less of an issue. So basically whether you're in the city or the country, if you're a hayfever sufferer, it's only gonna get worse. Hayfever is our bodies' alert/emergency reaction to alien particulates we are constantly bombarded with.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    DonDaddyD wrote:

No it doesn't. Well some people it doesn't some people it does.

I went outside London and was in physical pain. It was all I could do to resist the urge not to turn the engine on and stand by the exhaust breathing in the fumes. Also air-con and sharp tempreture changes get me.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2997400.stm
    Pollution has also been suggested as an aid to hay-fever, the theory being that when proteins from pollen grains are washed off they stick to particles in the polluted air which are inhaled.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/nature/the-rape-of-spring-health-concerns-over-crop-448454.html
    Hayfever is critically dependent on the weather. As temperatures rise, pollen seasons are lengthening and the pollen itself is provoking a more powerful reaction, especially in cities where pollution increases the irritant effect.

Most people currently suffering symptoms are reacting to tree pollen, made worse, in towns and cities, by car exhausts. Air pollution from exhaust fumes seems to have an enhancing effect on the release of allergenic substances, particularly from birch pollen. Pollen in cities thus causes more allergy than pollen in the country.

My personal experience is that the tree pollen season has got worse, it fact it is now the worst season for me. The only difference I can not is increased pollution and the rape seed crop increasing.

Weed pollen does not affect me too much and grass pollen does not affect me as badly as use to.

What we need though is rain! A heavy shower for 1 hour does wonders.

And like you, I do not suffer from Hayfever in hotter countries. Although the worst hayfever I had was in New Zealand in Decmeber but that was as much as the system getting a massive hit from nothing in the UK.

I do believe some hayfever symptoms are tricks of the mind. Going out to the countryside may make you think you are suffering worse than you are. To me, I find the large greenhouses in Garden centres particularly bad, almost to the point where I start feeling claustrophobic!
  • Cafewanda
    Guys stop trying to cheer me up !

HH, I've suspected this for a while but I guess I won't be moving out of London unless the medics stress its lifesaving attributes.

Coopster, just avoid the greenhouses mate. Send the missus instead :wink:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    It's wrong to think that pollution is somehow your friend. Particulates in diesel and other fossil fuels have brought on a wave of asthma and hayfever in urban areas. Some also believe it's down to the massive increase in exposure to chemicals our bodies currently undergo compared with 50 years ago. Just about everything we eat and drink from fizzy drinks to beer and wine and pre packed foods etc are choc full of chemicals. As well as things like cleaning products - shampoo, conditioners, home cleaning products, air fresheners, women's cosmetics etc. Our bodies are constantly deluged with unnatural particulates which we breathe, eat and drink. Although these chemicals exist in small doses, the fact that just about everything we touch, eat or use it choc full of them can't be good. In the rural areas, ground level ozone pollution is a problem, however in urban areas ozone (chemical symbol O3) combines with carbon monoxide (CO) to create carbon and oxygen (O2), so ozone pollution is less of an issue. So basically whether you're in the city or the country, if you're a hayfever sufferer, it's only gonna get worse. Hayfever is our bodies' alert/emergency reaction to alien particulates we are constantly bombarded with.

We're doomed, doomed I tell ye :shock:
  • Headhuunter

Well, perhaps that's an overreaction.... Due for increasingly sniffly summers rather than "doomed".....
  • DonDaddyD
    Heady, I don't doubt that high pollution levels are a large factor of why I have hayfever. It's just that now my body has adapted to prefer it to pollen filled fresh air.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Headhuunter
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Heady, I don't doubt that high pollution levels are a large factor of why I have hayfever. It's just that now my body has adapted to prefer it to pollen filled fresh air.

Heady.... Never been called that. I think I like it...
  • artaxerxes
    artaxerxes Posts: 612
    For some reason my hayfever symptoms seem to reduce if I don't have any dairy products for breakfast. So far this spring, a combination of Beconase spray, cycling glasses, and plenty of vaseline around the eyes and nostrils seem to have kept the worst of the hayfever at bay.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159

Well, perhaps that's an overreaction.... Due for increasingly sniffly summers rather than "doomed".....

Do you mind - I'm over-acting here :wink: