extending forks travel

ads678
ads678 Posts: 70
edited May 2010 in MTB general
I've seen on a few post's from time to time, people saying that it is possible to change some forks travel by removing a spacer or something inside the fork??????

Is this really possible? I have a set of rock shox recons 351sl (i think), they actually came on a specialized FSR XC that my mate had but i had the forks off him.

They are 100mm travel at the moment but i'd like to buy an Orange crush frame and the minimum travle for one of those is a 120mm. I don't have a lot of spare cash at the moment and i quite like the forks anyway, so would it be possible to make them into 120mm???

this is totally speculative and i wouldn't have thought it was possible, so feel free to put me right.
GT Avalanche 1.0
Orange Five

Comments

• mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    theres a write up about this in the june edition of mbuk
  • ads678
    ads678 Posts: 70
    does it tell you how to do it?
    GT Avalanche 1.0
    Orange Five
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I think the factory fit nature and the 'sl' probably mean your recons aren't all travel versions, to save weight with shorter santions.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Only way you'll really know is to open them up and see if there is a C shaped spacer at the top of the shaft in the air spring.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result