Giro d'Italia Stage 5 **SPOILER**

2»

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    YES. Everyone loves the breakaway to succeed.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Quick Step... who needs classics? Pfft. Tom who?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Great. Remember the last time we saw a finish like that?
    Tirreno-Adriatico.
    WTF were they doing?

Well done to the 3 and a super win for Pineau.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The bunch majorly fcuked that up - nice work by Arashiro leading it out for the breaks benefit.

As luck would have it, Pineau is in the latest ProCycling - being bitched about for having won nothing of late :lol:
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    What on earth was that Astana guy trying to do going into that last bend? Crazy manouevre, lucky not to cause another huge crash.
  • AidanR
    AidanR Posts: 1,142
    Crazy. At 1km the bunch was held up slightly by a roundabout. At 600m to go it looked like the break was sitting up, then Arashiro kicked and Pineau got his wheel with Fouchard trailing a touch. At 200m a tight bend slowed the bunch again, but it looked like they were going to catch them with just a couple of seconds the difference. Then Arashiro kicked again to keep them clear, but Pineau came around him.

Farrar and Henderson headed the sprint behind.
    Bike lover and part-time cyclist.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,540
    What's happening with Greipel? Had him as my PTP pick today. With Wiggo out of the GC race now I think Henderson or Sutton might pick up a few stage wins if the team can stay upright (would be disrespectful though :wink: )
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    Pross wrote:
    What's happening with Greipel? Had him as my PTP pick today. With Wiggo out of the GC race now I think Henderson or Sutton might pick up a few stage wins if the team can stay upright (would be disrespectful though :wink: )

just hasn't got it at the mo..ill or something

timing just off by the bunch... the lead 3 really dug in there with 2 k to go i thought they would get caught still
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Watching the final 3 kms or so all I could think was "surely they aren't going to mess this up like they did in Tirreno?". They did.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    cav's face after todays stage

:lol:
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    afx237vi wrote:
    Quick Step... who needs classics? Pfft. Tom who?

So much for Levefre's bad management and poor coaching eh?
  • magicrhodes
    magicrhodes Posts: 123
    I felt absolutely gutted for Yukiya Arashiro if it hadn't been for him they'd have been caught! I know tactic and all that but cycling is one of the cruelest sports.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Why did Lampre do so much work today? Surely Liquigas and/or the sprinters teams should have driven the peloton.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    Timoid. wrote:
    Why did Lampre do so much work today? Surely Liquigas and/or the sprinters teams should have driven the peloton.

For Petacchi, I'd imagine
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Timoid. wrote:

For Petacchi, I'd imagine

Yeah forgot about him. He's a bit like Zabel 03 -06. Always one or two faster.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    French teams taking the giro seriously for a change... in a way pity QS won even if he was french.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    100% certain he said he was going to ride the first 9 days or so like the Tour.

If he was serious I don't understand how he lost all that time on stage 3 after the crash. Most especially when Cadel was in the same crash (because of Sky) and got to the finish more than THREE minutes faster than Wigola.
    Did you actually watch stage 3 and the crashes?
    Not sure what race you saw but Evans was up and away immediately so closed gap to 2nd group quick. Wiggo and sky were still downlong after Evans was away.
    Not sure why you think Wiggo'scomments were disrespectful seem to me like you need to get off your high horse.
  • frenchfighter
    The Australian sprinter pointed to a miscalculation in the race manual. "Everyone underestimated the finishing circuit," he said. "It was nothing like in the book. The book said it was one small hill with 30 metres difference but we had about 10 hills on that circuit. The profile was not even close."

Bettini photos
    bettiniphoto_0052436_1_full_600.jpg

What is it with Cadel and finishing lines.....
    pic109907311_600.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Contador is the Greatest