First time riding with SPDs!!

drewcole81
drewcole81 Posts: 528
edited May 2010 in MTB general
Hello All,

Somthing i've been meaning to do for years is get some SPD shoes to go with the pedals i've had since I bought my bike.

I've always used DMR V12s since I started riding, but I thought why not give it a go!

So I bought some Simano shoes last week and went for a ride the other day with them... I think it will take some getting used to as it feels weird to start with, i'm heading to the Peaks in a couple of weeks so will see how i'll get on with them there... I think i'll put my DMRs in the boot just incase!

What do you think of your SPDs if you ride with them?

HAve you ever wanted to try them out?
....DaZeD aNd CoNfUsEd....

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    They make such a difference, in my opinion you won't regret changing to them! Riding uphill is much easier clipped in.

Do prepare yourself for a few comedy moments though..... There will almost certainly be a few times when you don't unclip fast enough and fall over, or unclip the wrong foot etc etc :lol:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    You will fall off.

But the frequency of having an 'SPD moment' will reduce as you get used to clipping in and out.

It's second nature for me now. Clipping out that is, not falling off. :D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I rode with SPDs for several years, before deciding that I just didn't like them. I didn't notice any real advantage on them, apart from being able to quickly pick up and replant the back end if the bike was drifting.
    Oh, and I was also told by my physio last year that I should stay clear of SPDs since I dislocated my knee.

So, give them a good try out, but if you don't get on with them, don't feel pressured to keep them. If you like them, great.
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I love them.

First time back on them last Saturday in Delamere... Front wheel hit a small rock and I stopped dead... Panicked to dab my foot down and forgot I was clipped in. Literally just managed to get unclipped before I landed in a bush :lol:
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    It depends, a lot of people who are in the middle of All-Mountain and Freeride tend to be a bit split.

I run Shimano DX (as do a lot of people) and find that if I'm riding a bit that I can't get clipped in to do, I just use them as a flat.

Great compromise, but I wouldn't be without SPDs
    Craig Rogers
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So, give them a good try out, but if you don't get on with them, don't feel pressured to keep them. If you like them, great.

Far too sensible for one of these threads. We'll have no more of that thankyou :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    I was glad of spds the other night. I hit a root at low speed and the bars went sideways but I j-u-s-t managed to push/pull a turn out of the cranks, straighten up and get going again
  • drewcole81
    My first thougth was I wouldn't like them... felt just like riding with toe clips like I did at school!

Hopefully i'll get used to them :)

I am ready for some spills though!
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    For road and light MTB use SPDs are great. But, for me anything approaching red runs are a DMR V12 (yes, I have those as well) essential moment.

I think my problem is I just naturally want to dab a foot down every so often on a trail.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • drewcole81
    For road and light MTB use SPDs are great. But, for me anything approaching red runs are a DMR V12 (yes, I have those as well) essential moment.

I think my problem is I just naturally want to dab a foot down every so often on a trail.

That is exactly my thinking, I know I can push myself a little more knowing that I can dab a foot or if it does go all wrong then bail fairly quick.... I think the SPDs might in fact slow me down a little as I won't have the confidence?

I know i'll get used to them, but from riding V12s since I was a wee lad it'll be hard to leave them behind!
  • wesk
    wesk Posts: 131
    Hmm, ridden pretty much everything with spds since about '94. There's nothing I won't tackle because I'm clipped in (plenty 'cos I'm rubbish though) and my fett actually twist off normal pedals now, it's completly natural.
    Having said that, I've not tried a trail centre so have no idea what a 'red' run is, tend to just og out and ride.
  • drewcole81
    Well a Red run isn't as bad as a Black run... but either way you will get some pretty technical stuff in them that could require a quick dismount!

How hard can it be!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    drewcole81 wrote:
    Well a Red run isn't as bad as a Black run... but either way you will get some pretty technical stuff in them that could require a quick dismount!

How hard can it be!

For what it's worth I use SPDs for everything - xc in the New Forest, red runs, black runs, riding in the Alps and everything in-between!! :D

I fall off plenty, but that's due to my lack of talent rather than being clipped in.... You will get used to unclipping and do it automatically after a while (I have usually unclipped by the time I tumble :? ). Stick with it!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • wesk
    wesk Posts: 131
    right, so it's some steep single track with a few twists and drops. SPD's would be fine then! 8)
    Must get to Afan soon to see what the deal is....
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    As long as you're a well-seasoned SPD'er then anything should be fine.

I always use my DX's whatever riding I do. The steeper rockier the better! It just becomes 2nd nature to get clipped out. I had a nasty over the bars down a steep rocky section (my own stupid fault), for those that know it, the Black sectioned Upper Cliff Rocks on the new Monkey trail at Cannock Chase.

I didn't even have to think about getting clipped out.

Plus, the chavs can't steal my bike from under me when I'm riding back home afterwards if I'm attached to the bike.
    Craig Rogers
  • drewcole81
    wesk wrote:
    right, so it's some steep single track with a few twists and drops. SPD's would be fine then! 8)
    Must get to Afan soon to see what the deal is....

Afan is very good :)
  • dot1
    dot1 Posts: 538
    I have a feeling this is where my final year uni project would come in!

318081_eJZ2AbW4ehoa9H42Pw7GwveQL.jpg
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
    viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Many cheap pedals use the studs moulded - they are usually crap. Very slippy, and when they wear down, cannot be replaced.
  • dot1
    yeah, the original design had normal replacable pins, put my lecturer started going on about how costly it was, so i changed it to please him, as he is the one who is marking it!
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I'd kill for a project that was bike related- I spend my days in the labs doing simulations of fans. Not fun
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • .blitz wrote:
    I was glad of spds the other night. I hit a root at low speed and the bars went sideways but I j-u-s-t managed to push/pull a turn out of the cranks, straighten up and get going again
    Why wouldn't you be able to save that with flats?

I'm intrigued...
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Thats a nice looking design but as Supersonic says, moulded plastic studs are useless, if the pedal is metal then its a different story.

As for SPD's, whenever I crash properly, my feet are way out of the pedals, I find it hard to ride flats off road now as my feet slip off, and I'm much slower up short fast hills and pulling away without them, I use M420/M440's? whatever the basic ones are, and some older ones with a flat pedal type thing around them - like a DX but with a metal cage.

EDIT: I take ages to type, and the first bit is now pretty much redundant :roll:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Anonymous
    thel33ter wrote:
    Thats a nice looking design but as Supersonic says, moulded plastic studs are useless, if the pedal is metal then its a different story.

Actually, metal mouled studs are even worse than the plastic ones in my experience. When the metal gets wet, it's completely void of any friction.
    I used to have the old Shimano DX SPD/Cage pedals, and they were completely unusable when they were even moist unless you were clipped in.
  • Anonymous
    thel33ter wrote:

Actually, metal mouled studs are even worse than the plastic ones in my experience. When the metal gets wet, it's completely void of any friction.
    I used to have the old Shimano DX SPD/Cage pedals, and they were completely unusable when they were even moist unless you were clipped in.
  • dot1
    Yeah I did try and explain to him that studs cast as part of the body weren't a good idea, but he wasn't having any of it. The body is 6061 aluminium, whole thing weighs in at 256 grams per pedal.
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • Anonymous
    dot1 wrote:
    Yeah I did try and explain to him that studs cast as part of the body weren't a good idea, but he wasn't having any of it. The body is 6061 aluminium, whole thing weighs in at 256 grams per pedal.
    Sounds like he shouldn't be lecturing in design then.
  • dot1
    haha, probably not! none of the lecturers on my product design course have ever been product designers which probably isn't a good thing....
    Trek Remedy 7 2009
    viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Giant Defy 5 2012
  • Anonymous
    Sounds like a course to avoid like the plague.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Your lecturer is a pleb.