so how long you been at it?

2»

Comments

• mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Been biking since I was a 5/6 but only started 'proper' MTBing August last year (10 months)
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    I've been on the bike as long as I can remember- spent my childhood and teenage years exploring the local area. Only get into it seriously about 4 years ago when I bought (gasp!) a road bike. A year later and I was back to riding off road loads.

So- three years 'seriously'.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Rivington is great, it's where I did my MIAS training. Didn't realise there was so much rocky natural terrain there.
    Craig Rogers
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    I learned everything I know at Rivington....

Basically, the location of the cake shop.
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Got my first 'proper' mountain bike back in the early '90s... a fluro green Muddy Fox Courier Comp... fully rigid (natch) and it was far too big for me...

Then a hiatus of 5 or 6 years and started again on a Kona Blast in the late 90's...

Happy days...
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Built an off road bike in the early 70s it was a BSA 24 inch wheel frame with a 26 inch front wheel squeezed in fitted with motorbike trials handlebars, touring pedals with teeth cut into the steel with a file for grip and normal tyres. Had a great time on it exploring disused railway lines and the occasional trip on the train to Westhoughton to go riding at Rivington. It was as close as to MTBiking as we could do though we didnt call it that and we had never heard the words mountain bike.

In 1983 my brother went on a trip to the USA to see our uncle and came back raving about All Terrain biking. We both got ATB steel frames built by a little old fella who worked in a shed and had a welding torch and a frame jig made from scaffolding poles. I sprayed mine British Leyland Apple Jack Green and my brothers was Vauxhall Victor Maroon.

Had a mountain bike of some description ever since though in the late 90s it was in the shed as a climbing frame for spiders for about 4 years while I was on my travels.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First went to Wharny on a bike in 1994. First proper MTB was a Diamond Back Traverse.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Started getting muddy on a road bike late '70 but been on 2 wheels from the early '70. got the first Ridgeback ATB in about '84.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • sparky750
    sparky750 Posts: 18
    About 3 days now :lol: I was really into it as a kid about 17 years ago first bike was a carrera something had one or 2 giants a marin bear valley i think, also a muddyfox that i snapped the rear fork on (big drop off :lol: ) Loving my new GT aside from the sore arse and the fact my mind remembers flying around where i've been riding this week but my body is no longer able :oops:
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    Back riding for about six months and getting my fitness up on an 09 carrera fury,last bike i had was as a kid and was a raleigh activator complete with forks that moved about an inch,thought i was the dogs danglies.
  • Richie63
    Richie63 Posts: 2,132
    A Ridgeback 603? at the end of the 80's then a TREK 970 which I hardly used and still have(with original brake blocks still on) in 1991/2 ish and stopped riding.
    Started back riding again a couple of years back and since then I've got 3 more mt bikes and a road bike :oops:
    I'm going to blow the bank on a new build ( within reason ) NOW DONE!!
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss14 ... 010362.jpg