Go Race

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,217
edited June 2010 in Amateur race
I've seen a series of races in July that include a Go Race category. I feel a bit of a fraud as I have raced previously albeit a long time ago and only as a junior and 3rd cat (old school pre-4th cat variety!) but realistically I don't think I'm up to anything higher at present plus I don't have a licence. Do you have to pay day membership to BC for these on top of your entry or is it just the entry fee (I know they are open to non-members but assume that some form of temporary membership is needed to cover 3rd party insurance). Also, what are the races like? What sort of field size do they attract? Do they tend to be lots of completely new riders going around at their own pace or does it stay pretty much as any other bunch race? My only concern is that the circuit (Llandow)can apparently have a few spills at the best of times so may be dodgy if there is a large group of inexperienced riders.

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Pretty sure you dont need a Day Licence for Go Race events. The liability insurance is provided solely by BC within the entry fee.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I've done a couple of Go Race races, I'm not really up to Cat 4 yet - need to get some consistent training in.

You just pay your entry on the day and everything else is covered.

Of the two races I've done, one we stayed as a bunch, but gradually shelled people off the back. The finish was on a gradual hill so it didn't really get to a balls out sprint. The strongest riders won easily. We averaged about 21mph for the 35 min race.

The second race was a bit different. There was a split in the pack, 2 groups formed and I'd missed the 1st. I tried injecting a bit of pace into the 2nd group and pulled clear by myself (was a bummer as I thought they'd come with me). I eventually got within metres of the first group, and they decided to go again so I was left on my own in a world of pain!! Within a few mins the second group caught me, I stayed with them for a bit but was soon spat out the back. I averaged just under 20mph for that ride as I really slowed down after my chase to catch the first group. The first group stayed away, so I didn't really lose out by going for it, but I'd imagine the first group wouldn;t have been much faster than I finished the first race in.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Did my first Go RAce last night at the Lotus test track series. Just needed a BC Bronze membership to race(free if your a BC affiliated club member) and my £5 race fee. A good crowd turned up, approx 25 people of mixed ability. The race was 30 mins plus 4 laps and the pace started off fairly easy but soon hotted up as several riders tried to break away. Got held up just as the final break went away with two laps to go and I didn't have quite enough in my legs(due to sundays Sufflok Subrise 100 :oops: ) to make the gap. I came in just outside the top ten,I think. Got to ride against Hopper1 as a bonus! Definatly going to do the rest of the series as it was a barrel of laughs.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    edited May 2010
    Markos, there's a good photo of your legs on the net, now, from last night... Link on the Lotus site.
    I think the photographer must have fancied me, as there are three solo photos of me... Or, maybe he felt sorry for me, as I was blowing out of my a*se, falling off the back!
    I'll be fresh next week, though.
    Just got a good deal on some snide EPO! :wink:

Getting back to the OP...
    Dude, you gotta do it.
    Last nights Lotus fielded quite a few 4ths, some in 'Team' kits, too! There was only one incident that I witnessed, that could be deemed 'close', but a few shouts to calm down, and it all soon became a very enjoyable first race experience, for me anyway. :wink:
    If you're worried about being involved in a crash, just hang back a little (not off the back!), or stay toward the edge of the pack, so you have an exit...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • markos1963
    hopper1 wrote:
    Markos, there's a good photo of your legs on the net, now, from last night... Link on the Lotus site.
    I think the photographer must have fancied me, as there are three solo photos of me... Or, maybe he felt sorry for me, as I was blowing out of my a*se, falling off the back!

Hehe! You'll need it. :D
  • hopper1
    markos1963 wrote:
    hopper1 wrote:

Hehe! You'll need it. :D

You've already took yours, then!
  • Pross
    Thanks guys, looks like your enjoying it. Apparently they struggle to get a field for Go Race classes in this area and have had to move those that turn up into a 4th cat race at times as only 2 or 3 have entered. I've got 2 months to get a bit fitter, averaged 19mph on my 10 mile TT tonight and I'm not a road racing virgin so will hopefully be able to hang in on the basis of the above averages as long as I keep near the front on the corners.
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Sorry to take over, but anyone doing the LOTUS track events from around the Cambridge area (long shot, I know).

Anyway, I am planning on doing some of these events, they sound AWESOME!!
  • markos1963
    Sorry to take over, but anyone doing the LOTUS track events from around the Cambridge area (long shot, I know).

Anyway, I am planning on doing some of these events, they sound AWESOME!!

Definatly worth the trip over(don't forget to register beforehand as you won't be allowed in). Nearly everybody I spoke to said they are going to do more so the field might get even bigger.
  • hey joeyhalloran.

i'm heading over to the lotus race from cambridge on wednesday. happy to give you a lift.
  • robbiedont
    robbiedont Posts: 89
    Ready for more fun this Wednesday Markos and Mr Hopper?? :)

Can I used my Sunday ride as an excuse as well??
  • hopper1
    robbiedont wrote:

Probably not Robbie, unless the volcanic ash lingers...

I must be the only guy on the planet hoping for ash!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    No Go Race events in the north west :c
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    NapoleonD wrote:

well promote one
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    sub55 wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

well promote one

If I had the time! Work up to 72hrs a week, two kids, it's hard enough to squeeze in an hour's ride!
  • sub55
    in a similar vain to the original question.

raced before but have`nt held a licence for a couple of years.
    if entering on the line ,in which cat do you ride?
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • joeyhalloran
    I have been told you will be a 4th cat with no points.
  • sub55
    I have been told you will be a 4th cat with no points.

8) :twisted: :lol:
  • markos1963
    robbiedont wrote:

If you're 47yo like me you can. I'm expecting to see the PX on wednesday as well, although you did pretty well on the Orbea :wink:
  • Pross
    sub55 wrote:
    in a similar vain to the original question.

raced before but have`nt held a licence for a couple of years.
    if entering on the line ,in which cat do you ride?

You can do a Go Race or anything allowing 4th cats. Go Race doesn't need a licence or membership apparently. If you have a BC membership you should be able to ride on a "provisional" licence (day licence as it was in my day :wink: ). If you are a member of a (BC registered) club and not an existing BC member you can get bronze membership free and silver and gold are discounted by the price of the bronze membership - I signed up yesterday but didn't stretch to a race licence!!
  • joeyhalloran
    where does it say that? can't find it on the BC website?
  • Pross
    Say which part in particular?

Free / discounted membership for new or lapsed members is here http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/site/BC/Bridge/member_type_check.asp

Licence eligibility here
    http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/zuvvi/media/bc_files/membership/eligibilities.pdf

Basically you can race in any regional level or Go Race category of road / circuit races on a provisional licence which you get with bronze, silver or gold membership but you are also subject to category and age restrictions which I assume to mean you can't ride in an E/1/2/3 race if you don't have a licence or have a 4th cat licence (and vice versa obviously).
  • joeyhalloran
    :)
  • IronHorse100
    IronHorse100 Posts: 302
    I'd like to do a Go Race i think, in the South West area - I assume they're listed on the BC website - anyone have a link?
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    On the British Cycling race calendar - select your Region (South West) and Classification (Go-Race)
    http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/web/si ... oad+Racing