Thumbs up to the Highways Agency

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited May 2010 in Commuting chat
One of the guys at work very kindly handed me the proposal for the widening of the A453 from the M1 J24 to the A52

If anyone know this road they will know that it is a death trap for cyclists - in fact it really is a total no go zone. Not to mention that it is tailed back EVERY morning and night for the traffic getting into and out of Nottingham. The road is a nightmare.

So I have the proposal in front of me now, and the bit of interest is:

Non Motorised User (NMU) route
A continuous pedestrian/cycle route nearly 10km long will be provided between Kegworth (Long Lane) and Clifton (Farnborough Road). There will be sections of new priovision both alonside the carriagewayand off line within the boundary of the scheme. Other sections of the NMU will be provided by the local highway and rights of way network.

At M1 Junction 24, the existing crossing of the A453 will be diverted down the motorway embankment to the Cattle Creek Underpass. An existing farm track will be dedicated as a cycle route to link cyclists and pedestrians to the A6.

They are basically changing the single carriageway to a dual carriagway and remembering to allow for cyclists and pedestrians to get the full length of the presently impassable stretch.

Not bad really.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Sprint sessions planned? :)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Win! I've driven round there quite a bit and thought that I wouldn't want to ride much of it due to, well, people like me in their cars.

Got a link to the plans?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Kieran_Burns
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Pretty sure Cameron will vetoe this !
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Cool,

That road is awful, I've witnessed several horendous crashes along there, most recently a motorbike slamming into a car doing a u-turn when they got bored of waiting in line to get to the clifton roundabout.

I'd never cycle the A453, there is a nicer alternative already however going out through Gotham and then down the country road to kegworth.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Aguila wrote:
    Cool,

That road is awful, I've witnessed several horendous crashes along there, most recently a motorbike slamming into a car doing a u-turn when they got bored of waiting in line to get to the clifton roundabout.

I'd never cycle the A453, there is a nicer alternative already however going out through Gotham and then down the country road to kegworth.

That's my commute home :D
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • millimole
    millimole Posts: 53
    To be fair the Midlands part of the HA seem to have their act together - the proposals that I've heard of for the A46 dualling between Wymeswold and Newark allow for some good quality crossings, along with retention of the 'old road' where possible as a quiet route.
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    I regularly drive up the A34 Newbury Bypass which is a motorway in all but name.

Some HA numpty has spent money on this facility in order to get a tick in a box.
    I've never seen it used.

Glad some are getting it right though
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • SmellTheGlove
    SmellTheGlove Posts: 697
    Sounds very good, not that I know the area. One other thing to approve of (only one bloke's opinion obviously) is the "non-motorised user" bit. So often we hear of "traffic free" which doesn't get to the nub of the issue as far as cycling is concerned.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Aguila wrote:
    Cool,

That's my commute home :D

Nice 8)

Must be looking pretty at the mo (even in the subzero temp)
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    The Highways Agency are indeed a thoroughly wonderful organisation.

;)
    Rules are for fools.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Waddlie wrote:

;)

So says Orinoco :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Attica wrote:
    I regularly drive up the A34 Newbury Bypass which is a motorway in all but name.

Some HA numpty has spent money on this facility in order to get a tick in a box.
    I've never seen it used.

Glad some are getting it right though

Saw the cycle lane when we went to Southampton from the M4 and was shocked that there was a cycle lane feet away from 60mph traffic
    Waddlie wrote:

;)

So says Orinoco :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • SimonLyons
    SimonLyons Posts: 203
    Watched East Midlands Today local news last night.

All major road improvements are up for review with the new government.
    A453 to dual carriageway was specifically mentioned.

Notts council has cross party support for the improvement. For cost ~80million they reckoned it was worth 300million to business so ought to go ahead.