Inner Tube sizes

iljs
iljs Posts: 78
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi,
I have just ordered a set of 2.25 Nobby Nics to replace my factory fitted 1.95 Kenda tyres. I was wondering if i needed to get new bigger inner tubes as well or will my current ones be OK.

Thanks in advance
Tim

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    They might be, they might not be.

Depends on what inner tubes they are, usually has it printed what size they are for but is usually ok to exceed this a little bit
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Worst that will happen is more punctures, though tubes are cheap enough iirc wilkinsons were selling kenda tubes a their own brand.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    iljs: Inner tubes are very adaptable. Providing the diameter is the same, the width makes no difference
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    .blitz wrote:
    iljs: Inner tubes are very adaptable. Providing the diameter is the same, the width makes no difference

This seems to be true.

I removed my 2.25 Kenda Krushers to fit some 1.5 Schwalbe Marathons and the tubes have coped fine.

Admittedly I've lowered the pressure a little though.
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    captainfly wrote:
    Worst that will happen is more punctures, though tubes are cheap enough iirc wilkinsons were selling kenda tubes a their own brand.

I can verify that. I bought the cheapest inner Wilkinson had just to tide me over until the weekend after a puncture. I was DELIGHTED to find the inner tube was a branded Kenda in a crappy Wilkinson blue box!

At the weekend I bought all the inners they had. :wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4