Unscientific brake tests..........

2»

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Rolf F wrote:
    Road bike brakes on a road bike would probably stop you in a shorter distance than disc brakes on a mountain bike, assuming that Rolf doesn't actually go really slow on his fancy new bike.

Not quite - my P7 is fairly heavy for a hardtail MTB - it is steel and built to last. Most hardtail alloy framed MTBs are a good bit lighter.

As for my new bike - I go like the wind on it; however, in this test gravity was the sole propulsion unit! Probably means that a) I need to get some scales to weigh the bikes properly and that b) I need to add mgh and half mv squared to the spreadsheet :lol: A long time ago was A level physics.........

True, gravity was the sole propulsion, but the main drag factor will have been the wind resistance. I noticed only one speed reading for the Dawes, was this in drops or on hoods? I would have thought that a nice, well-fitted road bike in drops would have accelerated to a much higher speed than in hoods, which in turn would have been faster than the MTB over the same run. As such the speeds could be even more skewed.

so, in conclusion, just get some brakes which are fit for purpose!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    True, gravity was the sole propulsion, but the main drag factor will have been the wind resistance. I noticed only one speed reading for the Dawes, was this in drops or on hoods? I would have thought that a nice, well-fitted road bike in drops would have accelerated to a much higher speed than in hoods, which in turn would have been faster than the MTB over the same run.

I was on the tops all the time except for the last second when I moved to drops. Didn't want to chuck in another variable!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wow! So you'll have been going even faster on the runs on drops. Probably. That makes the stopping distances even more impressive, road bike wise. Especially on the Look. Why are you still sitting here, we need more numbers!

:twisted:
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Can you also see how long it takes to stop just by putting your feet down? I've always thought these new-fangled so-called "brakes" were a con.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Wow! So you'll have been going even faster on the runs on drops. Probably. That makes the stopping distances even more impressive, road bike wise. Especially on the Look. Why are you still sitting here, we need more numbers!

:twisted:

Currently down south with my parents so no testing for a while. Incidentally, the Raleigh will now be out of the equations as I am leaving it at my folks though it should be possible to find a comparable hill in Haywards - only snag is I'll need to find a computer for it as I won't be able to calibrate unless I can find an identical gradient.

Other interesting thing is my folks have scales so I was able to weigh the Raleigh. It is heavier than I thought - a bit over 26lbs! Probably means that I should assume that the Dawes and P7 are heavier than I thought as well. I'll try to borrow some scales next week to weigh them.

Biondino - would you like me to carry out the test on my Hobbyhorse? :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......