Dalby forest

scottkw2003
scottkw2003 Posts: 57
edited June 2010 in Routes
Hi guys, thinking of riding dalby in the near future any feed back on which are the best trails to ride and parking would me most appreciated
thanks
Scott

Comments

• cycleNoodle
    cycleNoodle Posts: 80
    parking is a bit overpriced at 7 pounds a day! The red trail is really good or now their is the world cup loop if you want a good challenge!
  • scottkw2003
    scottkw2003 Posts: 57
    is the parking facilities secure only i thought a while ago someone said it was dodgy
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    The parking should be safe enough - it's in the middle of the forest and remote from any town of major chavness.
  • Yukon Boy
    Yukon Boy Posts: 70
    Park at the Visitor centre as you enter the forest. the full red route is 23.5 miles of climbs, descents and very little fire road.

If you don't think you'll manage the full red then you can pick up a map from the visitor centre then continue on the forest road and park at the Dixons Hollow skills park. From here you can do part of the red and use fire road and forest road to get back to the car park - but do get a free map!!!

I raced on the World Cup course and part of it went the 'wrong' way up the normal red route so not sure if you'll be able to do a full world cup lap.

Enjoy!
  • twedspeed
    twedspeed Posts: 130
    Dalby is fantastic with everything you,ll need - great trails - massive visitor centre - bike shop - cafe,s - coffee shop - parking - jet washer - clean bogs etc , you can buy a year long pass for around £40 - or pay by the day but as someone else said its expensive for the day @ £7 per vehicle .(just cram all your mates into 1 car )
    Red route as prev said 23 miles long with various black sections coming off it , best bit is the section about half a mile AFTER the skills section at DIXONS HOLLOW ,and the raised white gypsum twisty section about 12 miles in - theres two very enjoyable climbes with very tight switchbacks on them (dont dab!!) , and the whole place is quite flowing I.E. it encourages you to go fast - and rarely throws up anything unexpected that has you grabbing your brakes . Its well maintained ( at least you know your £7 is bieng put to good use ) and even though I,m a regular - I dont think Ive ever riden the EXACT same course twice , A lways something new - and as of last month a world cup standard XC course , Enjoy .
    WHYTE LIGHTNING - CARBON S/L - NOMAD anyone see a patern emerging ????????
  • santacrews
    santacrews Posts: 51
    twedspeed,

I,m in agreement with you re the trails at Dalby, ive been riding there a Long Time :oops:

i,m not too sure the bike shop and cafe are up to scratch with the quality of trail centre, sure the tracks are well maintained and YES ! the £7 is a bit steep but its a small price to pay for trail riding 23 Miles worth of MTB fun !

I have a yearly pass, :idea:

Maybe i went to the Trail centre with pre concieved ideas or i just rocked up there on a bad day ! the shop was Low on stock ! and the Cafe was V Poor !

Sorry !
    Not wanting to hijack the thread but wanted to just add my findings.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Dulby is one of the worst man-made trail i've ridden,they should pay you £7 to ride it.Mind-numbinly samey 23 miles.Only Sherwood Pines comes close to the boredom of Dulby.
    Just my opinion.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    I had someone take an unhealthy interest in my bike at the dixons hollow car park. Not sure if he was a bit mentally unstable, genuinly interested or on the twok but thought better of it. I guess keep an eye out if you see someone driving around in a white van/
  • santacrews
    santacrews Posts: 51
    Well, i,m not in a position to start complaining about trails !

Unfortunately i have to work for a living which gives me little time to do the things in life which i enjoy, One of these things is Riding my bike, i dont really care where it is as long as its away from stupid motorists who have no idea how bad a driver they are.

As long as folk are preppared to put in the spade work i will go ride !
  • mountain mick
    mountain mick Posts: 285
    Has anyone got a map off the World Cup Course or know's where to find one online also intrested in a GPS track of it, if someone has got one.

I'm thinking of going up later on this week for the day and doing this and another route.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/44868051@N08/6896199872/

Lapierre Zesty 214 2012
    On-One Lurcher 29er
  • Yukon Boy
    Yukon Boy Posts: 70
    I rode the World Cup lap at the Dalby Dare and I've just ridden it today.

You start from the far side of the field on the opposite side of the road from dixons hollow. You will see an opening and a signpost with a black arrow on it. Pick up the WC lap from here and just keep following the black arrows!

Have fun!
  • hondaboy4
    hondaboy4 Posts: 13
    The Red route is a must. Best route I've ever ridden by far
    Comment Loading ::
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Is Chesterfield any where near it?

Mate of mine has got a restaurant in C'field, so I'd make a weekend of it...
    ...good food, great riding, and he sells amazing Ceramic bearings/Carbon stuff too.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Not really, it's 2 hours away...but in Chesterfield you are on the edge of the Peak District - why go to Dalby?
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    Dalby is an excellent trail.

I don't mind paying the 7 pounds parking because the money goes back into the forest develeping the trails like the world cup course which is excellent. Just watch your bikes at the visitors centre quite a few people have had them lifted off bike racks while in the visitors centre and never seen again.

Cheers
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Done the Peaks before, so thort I'd make a dirty weekend of it with the Mrs.
  • pantera06
    pantera06 Posts: 115
    go to dixons hollow and do the world cup route its brilliant it starts from the field were yo park your car and goes round the feild in to the forestry the just forllow the trail right around then it comes back to the field the ride up the field back in to more forestry its exelent as i did it for dalby dare
  • pantera06
    pantera06 Posts: 115
    go to dixons hollow and do the world cup route its brilliant it starts from the field were yo park your car and goes round the feild in to the forestry the just forllow the trail right around then it comes back to the field the ride up the field back in to more forestry its exelent as i did it for dalby dare