Linus G's "total transparency"

afx237vi
afx237vi Posts: 12,630
edited May 2010 in Pro race
Hah, anyone wanna be roomie with Gerdemann at the TDF this year?

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4140/ ... rency.aspx

A free three week holiday at the Tour? Where do we apply?

Comments

• LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    If he's that desparate for a room-mate, could he not have signed up with eHarmony?

Transparency AND creepiness - like Chris Moyles in a clingfilm gimp suit.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • so like big brother?

that's tv I would watch!
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I'd be more interested in him proving he was clean in '06 rather than now, when he'll finish 30mins down anyway.

Strava is not Zen.
  • intothe12
    intothe12 Posts: 190
    calvjones wrote:
    I'd be more interested in him proving he was clean in '06 rather than now, when he'll finish 30mins down anyway.

A tad harsh although I know where you are coming from but at least it is the right step forward.

I'm sure kimmgage would like to upgrade his accomodatiion from being in a camper van for 3 weeks following Garmin to being in a hotel room with Milram.

I have no doubt that the 06 Tour was a little bit more than a pill fest for the Telekom lads but it would be intriguing to see him pull this off.
  • calvjones
    intothe12 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

A tad harsh although I know where you are coming from but at least it is the right step forward.

I'm sure kimmgage would like to upgrade his accomodatiion from being in a camper van for 3 weeks following Garmin to being in a hotel room with Milram.

I have no doubt that the 06 Tour was a little bit more than a pill fest for the Telekom lads but it would be intriguing to see him pull this off.

I think I'm extra tetchy because I liked Linus. Anyone who can lug a comfort blanket over the Alps is OK with me.

However, its hard to be p1ssed about Valv piti hoovering wins when Linus, Mick and Klodi have (to differing degrees) questions to answer.

Strava is not Zen.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    I am willing to sacrifice three weeks of annual leave to sleep with Linus and watch his every move. I would extend this invitation to Cavendish (natch), Haussler, Thor, Tommeke and the cute one from Bbox Bouygues.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    LOL at Comfort blanket ! V good !
  • intothe12
    calvjones wrote:

However, its hard to be p1ssed about Valv piti hoovering wins when Linus, Mick and Klodi have (to differing degrees) questions to answer.

Its interesting (and I do it myself) how we aportion blame, guilt etc.. to certain riders and not to others or maybe we just shrug our shoulders. It all comes down to likeabliity. I suppose. No one likes Vino because he acts like an arrogant c*nt, same for piti. But we are happy to ignore others.

There is no doubt that anyone who experienced the Telekom stable (Klodi, Rogers, & lets not forget Evans) were probably subjected or took part in the same programs that Sinki and Ulrich did.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Is there any evidence against Linus? Or is this just guilty by association?
  • calvjones
    DavMartinR wrote:

Don't know as we've never been told who was in the car on the trip to the Freiberg clinic. IIRC there was some rumour of an investigation last year but went no further?

I think anyone on a team subsequently proven to have an organised team doping policy at that time has to be subject to some suspicion surely? Tough on those who may have been clean on those teams (Cadel? Bassons, of course)

Strava is not Zen.
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    intothe12 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    There is no doubt that anyone who experienced the Telekom stable (Klodi, Rogers, & lets not forget Evans) were probably subjected or took part in the same programs that Sinki and Ulrich did.
    There is plenty of doubt. Why was Botero utter garbage at Telekom? How come Julich, who was pretty much invisible while he was there, had a 'new spring' when he joined CSC? Evans didn't even get to do the TdF (breaking his collarbone three times in one season didn't help, but that he was left out of the 2004 squad was a surprise).

Besides, Ullrich had his blood stored in Spain, not in Freiburg, though that's perhaps because of his year away from the team.

Rogers? Yeah.
  • intothe12
    calvjones wrote:
    DavMartinR wrote:

I think anyone on a team subsequently proven to have an organised team doping policy at that time has to be subject to some suspicion surely?

To be honest, you hit the nail on the head....

I'm not sure why Botero went like a bag of spanners at Telekom, but being part of the Kelme stable is enough in my view to convict, as for the others, it may be the case that some riders went there (julich, cadel...) and then decided they did not want to be part of it, but, saying that Julich going to CSC is no endorsement of clean riding....Hamilton, Basso (blood storage only)...

I suppose if you dig deep enough around everyone, there maybe some one they associate with that have questionable pasts..
  • calvjones
    samb01 wrote:
    intothe12 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:
    There is plenty of doubt. Why was Botero utter garbage at Telekom? How come Julich, who was pretty much invisible while he was there, had a 'new spring' when he joined CSC? Evans didn't even get to do the TdF (breaking his collarbone three times in one season didn't help, but that he was left out of the 2004 squad was a surprise).

Besides, Ullrich had his blood stored in Spain, not in Freiburg, though that's perhaps because of his year away from the team.

Rogers? Yeah.

Not my quote there samb. And yes, I agree that Telekom didn't 'suit' certain riders who were then perhaps excluded? Would like to think that was the case with Cadel.

Yes, I wonder if Ulle had to make his own arrangements in '03 with Coast-Bianchi so never went into the Freiburg fold?

Strava is not Zen.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    calvjones wrote:
    samb01 wrote:
    intothe12 wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Rogers? Yeah.

Not my quote there samb. And yes, I agree that Telekom didn't 'suit' certain riders who were then perhaps excluded? Would like to think that was the case with Cadel.

Yes, I wonder if Ulle had to make his own arrangements in '03 with Coast-Bianchi so never went into the Freiburg fold?

Didn't Evans say he was always an outsider at Telekom so if that was the case I would assume he wouldn't be part of a team programme.

Think you may have hit the nail on the head in how we can solve a lot of the doping problems. It isn't so much the riders but the fact the DS \ management are all part of the old guard who grew up with the you have to dope to even finish a race stance ans so they force programmes onto teams and riders. Didn't Rudi Pevenage go to Rock Racing ? Surely the UCI needs to start issuing licences to the team personnel in order to work in the sport then if you are part of a doping programme you can have your licence revoked and not work in the sport again
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    sherer wrote:

Didn't Evans say he was always an outsider at Telekom so if that was the case I would assume he wouldn't be part of a team programme.

Indeed. In fact a lot of fingers have always been pointed at T-Mobile's performance on Stage 5 of the 2004 Vuelta (a hilly, but not mountainous stage finishing on a cat 3 climb and won by Menchov)

The results were:

6. Cadel Evans @ 0.09
    28. Tomas Konecny @ 0.56
    29. Erik Zabel @ 0.56
    177. Stephan Schrenk @ 16.50
    179. Andreas Klier @ 17.06
    180. Alexandre Vinokourov @ 17.06
    DNF Santiago Botero
    DNF Torsten Hiekmann
    DNF Steffen Wesemann

The official explanation was that they all got food poisoning except Evans, as he's a vegetarian (which he's not).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    RichN95 wrote:
    sherer wrote:

Indeed. In fact a lot of fingers have always been pointed at T-Mobile's performance on Stage 5 of the 2004 Vuelta (a hilly, but not mountainous stage finishing on a cat 3 climb and won by Menchov)

The results were:

6. Cadel Evans @ 0.09
    28. Tomas Konecny @ 0.56
    29. Erik Zabel @ 0.56
    177. Stephan Schrenk @ 16.50
    179. Andreas Klier @ 17.06
    180. Alexandre Vinokourov @ 17.06
    DNF Santiago Botero
    DNF Torsten Hiekmann
    DNF Steffen Wesemann

The official explanation was that they all got food poisoning except Evans, as he's a vegetarian (which he's not).

And Zabel may have been telling the tructh when he said he tried it & didn't like it!

Strava is not Zen.
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    Well it is either a very brave or very stupid thing too do.
    If Linus did have any skeletons in the closet, You can guarantee the German media will dig and dig until they've got their man.
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    calvjones wrote:
    Not my quote there samb.
    Oops, sorry about that.