Round the Gulf of Mexico

pclarke0046
pclarke0046 Posts: 20
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
I am considering cycling round the Gulf of Mexico later in the year and would propose to take 3 months to cover the 3,600 odd miles the trip would entail factoring an average distance of 60 miles a day and 3 weeks off the bike for R&R. The idea would be to start in Miami and head north and then west through New Orleans before heading south through Texas and along the east coast of Mexico and then eventually east again to Cancun before jumping on a boat to Cuba and cycling the last few hundred miles to Havana. We would then either fly out of Cuba or return to Miami and fly home from there.

Does anyone know about cycling in these places or has anyone done a similar trip? I would be most grateful for any ideas on what the Mexico part of the trip might be like and weather or not it is possible to travel south through Mexico along the coast or whether we would be better served heading inland.

Many thanks.

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    No lubrication problems at least
  • pclarke0046
    edited May 2010
    The trip is not a lycra clad race to the finish line, more of an edifying cultural tour with friends.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Errr, I was referring to the ready availability of crude oil in the region, sorry if the joke went past you
  • pclarke0046
    That's alright I'm a little slow. My apologies. That was actually quite funny.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Never been on the route you're planning but keep in mind that hurricane season lasts from June until late November throughout that entire region so best to keep an eye on the weather reports.
  • jc4lab
    jc4lab Posts: 554
    Maybe get some slick tyres
    jc
  • pclarke0046
    Some oil slick tires?