Etape Caledonia: Layering strategy

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
Apologies if this has already been asked. Can somebody provide suggestions for what gear to wear on the ride this weekend taking into account the balmy climate of the Highlands?

Comments

• BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    It will be tricky as the early start will be cold and then it's meant to be quite sunny as well....

Last couple of years with a similar forecast I've had 3/4 length bibs on - I always get cold knees - a long sleeve merino wool base, a jersey and a windproof jacket that I take off and stuff in a pocket.

I also have loose gloves that fit over my mitts that I can take off.

With shoes I think it's different for each person - I don't get cold feet as a rule but my mates tend to use overshoes on this one.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Lots of factors to weigh up, not just the weather, for instance how hard you intend to push it, how long you're likely to be waiting at the start (IMO the biggest problem: I always get hold of a "soon to be chucked" trackie trews & top, then bin them just before the off) and simply what you're used to.

The first advice is to bring everything you've got & choose on the day!

The balmy climate of the highlands is looking like it'll be NW winds & showers, possibly a touch milder than at the mo but likely to be night frost still - but that still leaves a lot of variability in the equation. It is pretty much guaranteed to be cold at the start, then get warmer - the question is how much warmer, and how showery; forecasts nearer the day will be more accurate.

I personally hate faffing with clothing on the way, I've managed the last 2 years in shorts and long sleeved jersey (see avatar!) but on both occasions it was a bit chilly at the start; and this is normal weather to me (TBH I'm quite well insulated too :oops: )
    If you think "winter ride in the London area" you're likely to be close.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Thanks for the advice
  • bompington
    4600620725_2b75477e1e_o.jpg
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    bompington wrote:

The first advice is to bring everything you've got & choose on the day!

Yep, to quote Neil Finn of Crowded House it could be "Four seasons in one day"
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    Two options for me:
    Short sleeved top with arm warmers and a wind-proof gilet. This is the dry-weather choice.

Short sleeved top with De Marchi Countour Light jacket. The wet weather choice.

probably bib-shorts, although I'll be packing bib 3/4s just in case.
  • cframe
    cframe Posts: 171
    At the moment I'm torn between bib shorts with knee warmers, thick-ish base layer, short sleeve top, armwarmers and a wind/shower proof gilet,

or

Full winter bib tights, base layer, long sleeve windstopper top and a rolled up waterproof if it really throws it down.

Definitely gonna be wearing overshoes, my feet get stupidly cold really quickly

Kinda tempted even to sport a skull cap at the start!
    How's that for a slice of fried gold?
  • thecrofter
    Boll***!!! Just checked the weather. Bring your wet gear.
  • adscrim
    adscrim Posts: 2
    thecrofter wrote:
    Boll***!!! Just checked the weather. Bring your wet gear.

However, you should bear in mind the fact that the forecast has changed markedly over the last two day and could change again over the next two. Also, it looks like the current forecast is for the rain coming on later in the day.

fingers crossed.
  • thecrofter
    The forecast for Finnart, at the top end of Loch Rannoch, from the Met Off is for heavy showers. I'd be surprised if we get all the way round without getting wet at some stage.

Westerly or North westerly wind tho' so that should help us home
  • badbunny30
    badbunny30 Posts: 3
    Is it strong enough to help me up that last hill? :D
    No such thing as 'can't'
  • bompington
    badbunny30 wrote:
    Is it strong enough to help me up that last hill? :D
    if it's NW it's against you on the last hill...

...but you will be screaming down the last bit of the descent to the Fortingall turning!
  • badbunny30
    poo!

Personally I will probably be layering, a wicking base layer, a long sleeve jersey and a windproof jacket. I'll also carry a lightweight rain jacket in my pockets.

TBH I'm not as bothered about what I wear as actually making it all the way round! (first ever Sportive)
    No such thing as 'can't'
  • Dr U Idh
    I'll be honest and say that I'm surprised just how much clothing folk are planning to wear. Mibbe that's just because I turn into a sweaty mess at the first hint of exercise though.
  • thecrofter
    Dr U Idh wrote:
    I'll be honest and say that I'm surprised just how much clothing folk are planning to wear. Mibbe that's just because I turn into a sweaty mess at the first hint of exercise though.

You're not planning to go au naturale are you :shock:
  • Dr U Idh
    ..and the metcheck forecast changes again.......
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Dr U Idh wrote:

Back to the original, and best plan.

Pack for every eventuality and pick on the morning.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • thecrofter
    Dr U Idh wrote:

I stopped using metcheck after I found out about the owner
  • Dr U Idh
    Nose spite face cut off
  • thecrofter
    Dr U Idh wrote:
    Nose spite face cut off

Not really, they all get their info from the Met Office anyway. And no one at the Met Office (that I'm aware of) has ever been convicted of raping a 14 year old boy
  • badbunny30
    thecrofter wrote:
    I stopped using metcheck after I found out about the owner

??
    No such thing as 'can't'
  • bompington
    My weather guess, from the met office forecast charts for 0000 & 1200 on Sunday, is... much the same as last year, but with a WNW wind.

We'll see...