Tubeless tyre system...help a newbie

Nasty1
Nasty1 Posts: 108
edited September 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi

Sorry but a few more newbie questions.

I am waiting for some Hope Hoops with stans flow rims, my aim is to go for tubeless tyres but I believe I can use normal tyres & tubes as well with these rims if I want..correct?

A UST specific tyre will go straight on the stans flow without anything else, or do I still need the stans 'No Tube' kit?

The terrain I ride is on the South Downs with woodland that has areas of packed chalk and lots of both embedded & loose sharp flints with more than its fair share of exposed tree roots as well!

I am riding a hard tail so looking for some high volume tubeless tyres (UST ?). I have narrowed my spring/summer/autumn choice in tyres to: -

Front, Nevegal or Minion (front specific)

Rear, High Roller or Small block 8 if it ever dries out.

Looking at the UST options the sizes seem limited and most are around the 2.1 or smaller unless I go to the DH versions which are around the 2.5. So would Rockshox Reba's take a 2.5 front tyre without problems? I am limited by clearance at the rear for probably a 2.1 max but still need some good volume! On the front I think 2.35 would suffice really?

I have read snippets that normal tyres can be made tubeless & some are better than others at the conversion. From my short list of tyres are these all be suitable for conversion to tubeless with good results & what would I need to do the conversion with the stans rims?

I only ride for fun and still learning so not particularly fast, but the with the flints & roots pinch flats can be a problem and the chalk can be slick so a good tyre system is a must for me.

Any advice or direction to other articles would be appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I don't think you need the conversion kit. Just stans yellow tape and a valve for each wheel.

You can run them with rubes and normal tyres.

Maxxis tyres are generally well regarded for using tubeless. I use standard Advantages on cnverted rims with no sidewall related problems.

'Proper' tubeless tyres will say Tubeless, UST, LUST (Maxxis) or 2Bliss (Specialized)

You'll need a track pump and some sealant for the conversion.

I wouldn't go for a 2.5", it'll weigh a ton and be a real drag, pun intended :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Nasty1
    Nasty1 Posts: 108
    Thank you for your reply bails87.

Hmm...I have been trying to find out more on this tubeless lark and it would appear to be a bit hit and miss getting none UST tyres to seal and can take days or even longer to get sidewalls to seal....Nevegals seem to get a particularly bad rap for this along with most Kenda Tyres??

Is this amount of time and work involved to get non tubeless tyres to seal the norm or just certain tyres?

Strange that such a popular tyre size as 2.35 has so few UST variants.

I think tubeless is the way I need to go really with my local terrain but beginning to wonder if it is worth the risk.

Cheers
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Maxxis LUST tyres are, IMO, superb. Currently running a 2.1 LUST Highroller rear and a 2.35 LUST Ignitor front and they have never given me any trouble...a scoop of No tubes sealant just in case and not a problem ..... yet ;) (run LUSTs for over a year now).
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • scoob113
    scoob113 Posts: 80
    Hi there - I've used the Stans tubeless kit on mavic rims and it was horrible trying to get some tyres to inflate and stay inflated - lightweight in particlar was really really hard without gilling up the wheel cavity with rim tape and using Stans rim strip.

But with Stans rims, relatively speaking, it's easy. Yellow tape only, and I've managed to get the very thin 2.25 Rocket Ron's to inflate, without bothering with soapy water and with a track pump too. Everything just sits properly in comparison.

So, yes, check Stans list of compatible tyres, but I'd say go for the tyre you want, just use the yellow tape (follow Stans instructions - use a lot of pressure when installing the tape), then stick some fluid in and pump it up.

If you're trying this and havivg probs let us know - I've been through months of different combo's and almost always managed to inflate eventually.

Some tyres take longer to settle but I can say they only deflate when left stationary at the start - when in use the pressure stays up as the fluid is circulating and seals the new perforations. Recent example was I'd added those Rocket Rons. They deflated in two hours driving to GlenTress. Put them back up again and they stayed up for 1:30 around GlenTress with effectively no air loss that mattered.
    Next day in the garage they deflated again. Next week they were fine in use again. Now they're staying up for days on end with less and less air loss and totally fine riding still.- just some tke a few rides to seal all the holes.

Hope that helps.
  • IanTrcp
    IanTrcp Posts: 761
    bails87 wrote:
    Just stans yellow tape and a valve for each wheel.

Ok. I'm confused on this also and would welcome some help.

I'm treating myself to some Easton Haven wheels and intend to use them with Nobby Nic Tubeless tyres.

Do I still need to purchase tape?

Sealant? Which type would be best?

Do I need a valve? If so, what sort of valve? A Wiggle link would be wonderful!

Thanks in advance.
  • Ok. I'm confused on this also and would welcome some help.

I'm treating myself to some Easton Haven wheels and intend to use them with Nobby Nic Tubeless tyres.

Do I still need to purchase tape?

Sealant? Which type would be best?

I think they come in kits i.e all you need - sealant/valves/tape etc - basically a conversion kit
    Cost around £40 - £50
    Stan's no tubes or Joe's no flats are the best - sold at any online retailer (wiggle/chain/merlin)

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... t_2544.htm
  • Check out Just riding along they have lots of info on their site http://www.justridingalong.com

I have Mavic UST rims and no probs with them but think I may get my next wheels with stans rims as generaly lighter and wider

As far as I'm concerned tubless is the way ahead as usted to get loads of punctures but only use UST tyres on UST rims