Newbie saying hi

sparky750
sparky750 Posts: 18
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi guys been reading the forum for about a week trying to work out what to buy etc I went for a look round some bikeshops yesterday and came home with one of these

prod_7053.jpg

I've not been on a bike for 10-15 years and went straight out doing 6-7 miles yesterday with 3 miles offroad. Sweet god i remembered cycling being an absolute pleasure and really easy :cry: My bum feels like i shared a cell with buba :lol: Tried a few bikes and this was the one that felt right, although after my ride i think i need to raise the bars slightly then i found out it's not possible so i'll persevere for a week or two before buying and changing things. It's all in the name of getting fit again and shedding some pounds :oops: My aim is a minimum of 5 miles 3 times a week working up to 10 miles then we'll see how i'm getting on before i set the next challenge

I'll skulk off into the background again now until i know enough to comment on more than that's a nice colour :oops:

Steve[/u]

Comments

• freeride-mike
    freeride-mike Posts: 553
    welcome to the forum 8)
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Frodo1095
    Frodo1095 Posts: 252
    Congratulations on the new bike and welcome to the group, dont worry bubba will leave you alone soon, just keep riding.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Oxygen Thief Posts: 649
    Bonjour!
  • xstrathyx
    xstrathyx Posts: 1,104
    yeah your erchie will feel like a broken cat flap for a few days. dont worry, it soon wears off and you will enjoy the biking in no time
  • sparky750
    Cheers for the welcome guys i was hoping to get out on it today again however sitting on the saddle in the garage brought a tear to my eye :lol: We'll see i may brave it later on tempted to get a big comfy gel seat type thing but i'm certainly going for padded shorts just reading up on here trying to work out which ones to buy
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    sparky750 wrote:
    Cheers for the welcome guys i was hoping to get out on it today again however sitting on the saddle in the garage brought a tear to my eye :lol: We'll see i may brave it later on tempted to get a big comfy gel seat type thing but i'm certainly going for padded shorts just reading up on here trying to work out which ones to buy

Yep, padded shorts and DON'T wear anything underneath them. Honestly!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    DOn't get a big gell padded saddle, they rub mor ein the long run. i know it sounds mental but you really want firm but flexible saddle rather than a soft saddle. Keep at it and you will become hardened.

And what she says about going commando.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Oxygen Thief
    When I first saw my seat I was hurting just looking at it, but it's surprisingly comfortable. I've been on it every day for over a week now and even though sometimes it hurts to sit on it, just gotta grin and bear it for a few minutes.

Why wear nothing underneath the padded shorts? How does that help?
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    When I first saw my seat I was hurting just looking at it, but it's surprisingly comfortable. I've been on it every day for over a week now and even though sometimes it hurts to sit on it, just gotta grin and bear it for a few minutes.

No seams, no bunching, etc They're designed to be worn that way.
  • *AL*
    *AL* Posts: 1,185
    miss notax wrote:
    Yep, padded shorts and DON'T wear anything underneath them. Honestly!

POITH.

Endura do a nice line in shorts with 'click fast' padded inners, reasonably priced too.
  • Oxygen Thief
    Dirtydog11 wrote:

No seams, no bunching, etc They're designed to be worn that way.

Cool, but I'll struggle to get rid of th seams as I'd have a pair of other shorts over teh top, can't be walking round in a pair of tight cycling shorts!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The padding is designed to wick away moisture etc, not to be cushy.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sparky750
    Managed another 3 miles this afternoon my bum was sore the whole way round so stood up quite a bit :lol: my legs where also a little sore i must me more unfit than i thought :oops: so it's just going to be determination and get through it. I still think i need to raise and alter the angle of the bars a bit as the reach seems that bit too far, i'm going to hang on a few weeks before doing anything as i don't want to waste the money when all along it's just me not being used to riding a bike. Tomorrows mission is some padded shorts i generally go commando anyway when exercising :oops:
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    The seams on you baggy shorts are not going to irritate you with a pair of cycle shorts underneath them.

Try a pair you won't regret it, you will only regret not buying a pair earlier
  • chappers666
    chappers666 Posts: 30
    Nice bike - I really like GT's, just wish the insurance company would have replaced the one I had nicked years ago with another instead of the Trek that has lived unloved in the garage ever since.

I agree about the sore rear though, I got my new bike a few weeks ago and the first few times I was more than a little uncomfortable (I can never remember saddle soreness occurring when I was a kid) - it does get better the more you ride it though, thankfully! :wink:
    GT I-Drive 5 XCR '09
    Trek 6500 '01
  • sparky750
    Nice bike - I really like GT's, just wish the insurance company would have replaced the one I had nicked years ago with another instead of the Trek that has lived unloved in the garage ever since.

I agree about the sore rear though, I got my new bike a few weeks ago and the first few times I was more than a little uncomfortable (I can never remember saddle soreness occurring when I was a kid) - it does get better the more you ride it though, thankfully! :wink:

Cheers i blew the budget i'd set myself but once i saw the zaskar i had to have it :oops: Yep i don't remember saddle soreness either used to ride all day everyday in the summer holidays jumping off everything i could find. The brain still remembers those days and wants to do it but the body is not able :lol:
  • kaytronika
    kaytronika Posts: 580
    Lovely bike, I've always liked Zaskars. My Avalanche was the nearest I could get with the money I had.

I've just recently got started again and been through the saddle soreness phase. Now after about 5 or 6 rides and some padded Karrimor shorts from Sport Direct, I have no issues. You'll hit that point soon no doubt.

As for losing weight, I've been doing weekly rides of around 10 miles and changed my diet a bit (but not too much) I've probably lost around half a stone and am definately feeling the benefits of the cycling in my knees.

Hope your experiences are as positive as mine have been!
    --
    '09 Carrera Fury
    '94 GT Timberline FS
    '89 Saracen Tufftrax