Is anyone aware of 15mm bushings?

Gazlar
Gazlar Posts: 8,084
edited May 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Ive been hovering round for a couple of days trying to find a fitting kit for a fox shock for my focus thunder. I tried mojo with various pics, drawings and phonecalls but with no luck. I eventually got an email off the manufacturer in germany who told me that the bushings/spacers are available as a standard item from fox dealers and are 15mm x 13mm, 15 mm being the bolt size. Has anyone else come into contact with such a size of bushing?
Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
Amy
Farnsworth
Zapp

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics of what you are really after please.

is it a bush or a fitting kit or....

fox shock BUSHES are standard 1/2"

the fitting kit/mounting hard ware can be anything.

I will be in the shop tomorrow so i can check what you really need.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Gazlar
    cheers nick, its basically an all in one tophat/du bushing all in one as im lead to believe, doe to the size of the pivot bolt that goes through it, ill pop up a picture of the assembly for the current shock, it will just have to be a slightly different size to accomodate the width of the fox shock. Ill also pop up the diagram.

the words from focus were that any fox dealer will be able to order it as they order them from fox and the dimensions are top pivot (standard no probs getting these) m8 x 22

Bottom bolt (pain in the ass) m15 (no bolt needed though) x 13
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    TBH in that case call Mojo they will know what you need and will have it as they are the UK agents for Fox.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Gazlar
    I tried mojo today and they didn't know anything about it, to be fair that was before i got hold of focus, i wonder if it would be worth going direct to fox? im just concerned as bushings wear out, so do shocks and i need to be sure my bike wont be scrap in 12 months of hard riding, anyway heres pic one, what i need is the middle top hat style bushing but it sits directly in the shock eye without a du bushing

115wa.jpg

the 13mm gap is between those two alloy "spacers" for want of better words to call them, they sit either side of that bushing im describing
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    i wonder if it would be worth going direct to fox

in the UK FOX is Mojo.

Ok so you are tring to fit a fox shock?

no a chance in hell fox shocks dont take a 13mm bush they are all 1/2"
  • Gazlar
    I know foxs official outlet in the uk is mojo, i just wondered whther its worth going direct to the us
    I know it can be done, because the next model up from mine has an rp23 shock, focus have assured me its the same axle assembly, it just uses one of these strange thin top hats without a du bush and they definately get them directly from fox. Its a strange assembly though
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    Fox in the US will point you back to Mojo.

I will gave a look at the bikes tomorrow.
  • Gazlar
    cheers nick, im not arguing with you by the way, its a very odd way of it being fitted and obviously can be done because there are models but its really a pain in the butt, Wiggle are being crap as focus dealers and not responding to any emails and like i say mojo were stumped earlier, ill try them again tommorrow though, just in a bit of a panic because if i cant get the bushings, i could be left with a white elephant of a bike in the not that far future, even if i do leave the dt swiss shock on for now, when the hardware wears out where do i get that from.

bloody bikes im gonna stick to walking lol
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    TBH the more i think about it i would be making something to work with a DU bushed Fox shock.

but lets see what i find out tomorrow. will be latish before i get back.
  • nicklouse
    crap i have just had a thought...... i think the bikes at the shop have DT shocks!

Oh well lets see later.

Edit not sure what your approach to Mojo has been but instead of asking for bits by size and shape. just tell them you have the (insert model with fox shock) and the fitting kit seems to have disappeared under the Fridge.... blah had the bike in bits and the kids got to it.... HELP

then they can look at the bike book of names and Bobs your mothers sisters husband..
  • Gazlar
    tried that and they had no idea about focus bikes, thats when i stripped it down and measured it and then they were just as confused, ill try them tommorrow with the definate specs from focus now and see if they can order them from fox directly
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    Any small engineering company/workshop can do stuff like this if you are stuck, bushinggs can be machined to fit or made from scratch.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Gazlar
    captainfly wrote:
    Any small engineering company/workshop can do stuff like this if you are stuck, bushinggs can be machined to fit or made from scratch.

I did think about that, i jusy hadnt a clue where to turn to really
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • Gazlar
    just had another look at the shock assembly, and the 15mm axle has bearings, so im wondering if i actually do need a bush of any sort now for the bottom end, because the twist should be in the axle rather than the bolt against a bushing.......15mm axle, 15.1 eyelet in fox shock, 13 mm gap, fox shock width 12.8 mm,

any views on this technical minded people?
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    Off to the shop so will have more of an idea later.
  • Gazlar
    Cheers nick, but I think we have solved it,

The pivot axle has a bearing which provides the twist necessary, the spacer that is in the Dt Swiss shock is purely a reducer to fox size. according to Focus in Germany, the 15 mm pivot bolt at the bottom will slide straight into the 15.1 mm eyelet of a fox shock that has had the du bush removed, as that part is not needed doe to the bearings in the rocker doing that job, all I need apparently is the m8 x 22.2 spacers for the top

phew, just not looking forward to when the bearings are done in now, lol
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • nicklouse
    just had a look at the frames we have. they have the RS shocks but did not have time to strip to see but I see no need :wink:

good to hear it was a simple sort.
  • Gazlar
    Cheers for trying to help Nick, it was just one of those things i went head first into it, I didnt even consider the pivot bolt having a bearing, just waiting now for the top bolts and a bushing tool to drop the du out and ill be cooking on gas
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp