To metric or not to metric, that is the question?

2»

Comments

• warthog562
    warthog562 Posts: 40
    one of those crazy things about oz that I end up having to explain over and over again at work is that the size of the glass never changed just the name can vary from state to state or sometimes pub to pub and you end up with different names for the same thing. LiT the one you are referring to is called a half here but in QLD is called a pot as NSW still use the pint in some places mostly sydney as it is full of english tourists.
    trek 7.9fx with mudgaurds (Thanks terk for warrenty freebie)

kona kula

mtbr come commuter
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    davis wrote:
    warthog562 wrote:
    also on the pints thing, we swapped in oz and now have the schooner which is 568 ml I which is one pint. so no change to the beer. the real problem is you guys get ripped on spirits as aussie shot is 30ml and the uk shot is 25ml

Eh? A schooner is a pint? Not in NSW/ACT it isn't, it's still a ladies' measure.

A pint is a ladies' measure. Unless it's yummy yummy Scotch

I once drank a pint of JD on a bet. It was home time very shortly thereafter.

A schooner of JD (although some 140ml smaller) would no doubt have had the same effect.

Good God. You are, as I understand the definition, a gurl, right?

...still not Scotch though...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    warthog562 wrote:
    one of those crazy things about oz that I end up having to explain over and over again at work is that the size of the glass never changed just the name can vary from state to state or sometimes pub to pub and you end up with different names for the same thing. LiT the one you are referring to is called a half here but in QLD is called a pot as NSW still use the pint in some places mostly sydney as it is full of english tourists.

Well, all the pubs I've been to in Oz, and it's a fair few, were all in NSW/ACT, a schooner was 450ml or thereabouts, and a pint was a pint or 568ml. I found a few pubs in Canberra that sold pints, but it took a while. Fortunately I lived there at the time.

The adelaide 'schooners', otoh, are hilarious. I think they're about 250ml.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Pints and miles, folks. This is the UK. Johnny Foreigner can go jump.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i heard on the grape vine that D-Cam is going to outlaw the metric system!
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    After 7 years on the continent, I'm fully metricated.

Beer in ml
    Wine in dl
    Body weight in kg
    Cooking weights in g
    Distance in km
    Speed in km/h
    Temperature in degrees C
    Height in m
    chest, weight and neck size in cm (although jeans are still sold in inches :roll: )

apart from at work...aeroplanes are imperial!! I can't even nip into a normal hangar to fix my bike. I have to go to the experimental workshop to get a metric spanner!

What amazes me is that the UK has been metric since 1971, I was only ever taught metric at school (started in 1982) and imperial is still so widely used. And can anyone explain why B&Q sell timber with profiles in inches and lengths in metres? a 2.4m length of 4"x2" :roll: :lol:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    schweiz wrote:
    After 7 years on the continent, I'm fully metricated.

Beer in ml
    Wine in dl
    Body weight in kg
    Cooking weights in g
    Distance in km
    Speed in km/h
    Temperature in degrees C
    Height in m
    chest, weight and neck size in cm (although jeans are still sold in inches :roll: )

apart from at work...aeroplanes are imperial!! I can't even nip into a normal hangar to fix my bike. I have to go to the experimental workshop to get a metric spanner!

What amazes me is that the UK has been metric since 1971, I was only ever taught metric at school (started in 1982) and imperial is still so widely used. And can anyone explain why B&Q sell timber with profiles in inches and lengths in metres? a 2.4m length of 4"x2" :roll: :lol:

My then 8-year old son got a souvenir fishing boat a couple of years ago.
    He (accurately) described it as being "about two-inches long", so imperial still seems to be living on in deepest Derbyshire.
  • lost_in_thought
    See I was born in 1983, and taught (in the '90s) what the school referred to as 'conversion weights and measures', so I can tell you quick as a flash how many metres are in a mile, how many furlongs in a kilometre, how many ml in a gallon etc etc.

Comes in handy.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Miles. Nothing wrong using imperial and SI units as you see fit. And a century is 100 miles, not 100k, AFAIC....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    See I was born in 1983, and taught (in the '90s) what the school referred to as 'conversion weights and measures', so I can tell you quick as a flash how many metres are in a mile, how many furlongs in a kilometre, how many ml in a gallon etc etc.

Comes in handy.
    yes well i was born in 86, and was taught them as well. however i cant be bothered with metric.

much prefer talking and thinking in imperial
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    mmmm, Royale with cheese...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Did you know that all of the major scientific phenomena can be defined by one out of 100 metric units of meausre?

By contrast, it takes 8 1/3 dozen imperial units.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    A while back the Irish government decided that any new road sign would be in Kilometers, whether it was new new or replacing an old one. This left the place with a lovely mix of both distance measures.
    Then, about 10 years later, all the old signs had been replaced, all signs were now in Km, so the government went about and, over the course of a weekend, changed all the speed limit and their signs from mph to kph. New cars were sold with different speedometers too.

I tend to do a bit of both, often to measure the same thing. Speed and distance are in metric on the bike but in imperial still in the car. I know my weight in stones and kilos, and height in cm and feet.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    davis wrote:
    Boats and planes should use km/kph too.

If I may, Boats and planes dont use mph or kph because they navigate using lat and long, and the relationship that has to nautical miles. Too tired to go into detail, but believe me thats why lol unless you are in the states, the planes there go statute mph, but then again they measure the pressure in millimeters of mercury. God knows why. Also this is a map of places that still use imperial (as their primary or sole system of measurement):
    16214621-map-nations.jpg
    i ride a hardtail
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Imperial no question. Metric only divides by 2 & 5. Imperial measures divide into 2, 3, 4, 6 and are much more flexible, as well as being easy. Yes they are. You have to ask if imperial is so illogical and impossible to understand, which is the oft-claim downside to it, how did we manage to run half the world and built The Empire on the back of it? Imperial works fine. As per earlier, Johny Frog can stick to his metric nonsense. We'll keep our system thanks.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440

Comes in handy.

See now I would have been in the same school year as you but I went to a state school in the midlands and as a result would struggle to tell you how many feet were in my shoes let alone all that lot.

I have no idea how long a furlong might be.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    I love the mix and match of units in this country and happily switch between the two if only to confuse my euopean colleagues. It only gets properly confusing when you're using compund units like lb/ft or psi (or even more daft, kips).

I've heard it suggested that the imperial system is why British engineers are so good - if you can't understand the units then you get filtered out.
  • lost_in_thought
    prawny wrote:

Comes in handy.

See now I would have been in the same school year as you but I went to a state school in the midlands and as a result would struggle to tell you how many feet were in my shoes let alone all that lot.

A little over 200m, 660 feet or 10 chains...

I assure you this information is invaluable on a day-to-day basis. :D
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    prawny wrote:

Comes in handy.

A little over 200m, 660 feet or 10 chains...

I assure you this information is invaluable on a day-to-day basis. :D

How many links :?

Is a furlong shorter or longer than a piece of string? :|
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • f3nd3r
    f3nd3r Posts: 16
    Jamey wrote:
    To be honest, I mix and match.

Miles for distance
    Feet / inches for heights of people
    Millimetres / Centimetres for measuring things
    Celsius / Centigrade for temperature
    Stones / Pounds for weight of people
    Grammes / kilos for weights of ingredients etc
    Millilitres for fluid measurement

You get the general idea. I just use what I know best.

I use the same as Jamey, I'm not old but gowing up with people that use both.
    Bikes:

Trek 3700 - old first bike - currently stripping and revamping
    Boardman MTB Comp